Publishing for the first time: "Registering package failed"

I’m trying to publish two UI themes that I created: Fang and Wave, but I get the same error on both:

.../atom-fang-ui  apm login
Welcome to Atom!

Before you can publish packages, you'll need an API token.

Visit your account page on Atom.io https://atom.io/account,
copy the token and paste it below when prompted.

Press [Enter] to open your account page on Atom.io. 
Token> ########
Saving token to Keychain ✓
.../atom-fang-ui  apm publish .
Registering fang-ui ✗
Registering package in katacarbix/fang-ui repository failed: That repo does not exist, isn't an atom package, or you do not have access
.../atom-fang-ui  cd ../atom-wave-ui
.../atom-wave-ui  apm publish .
Registering wave-ui ✗
Registering package in katacarbix/wave-ui repository failed: That repo does not exist, isn't an atom package, or you do not have access

You can check the package.json files in both, which I did and I don’t see any errors. Please let me know what you think I’m doing wrong, thanks! :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and in case you were wondering here’s the output of apm -v:

apm  2.5.2
npm  6.14.8
node 12.4.0 x64
atom 1.53.0
python 2.7.18
git 2.25.1

I looked over my package.json files again and noticed they were missing an author key. I added that but it still doesn’t work. I also thought it could be due to the fact that the directory name doesn’t match the repository/package name. I renamed the directory and tried again. no luck. Does anyone have thoughts on this? I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

I’m having the same issue.
You can find my package at https://github.com/Lou-i3/atom-ftp-sass-compiler

$ apm publish minor
Registering atom-ftp-sass-compiler ✗
Registering package in lou-i3/atom-ftp-sass-compiler repository failed: That repo does not exist, isn't an atom package, or you do not have access```

Found a solution!
App needs a master branch to be able to publish.
Therefore you just need to run

git checkout -b master
git push -u origin master
apm publish minor

Oh wow, they should really fix that now that main is the new default branch name.