Here are a couple issues I ran into following the instructions in atom/docs/build-instructions/linux.md.
For the install command
sudo script/grunt install]
- This installs /usr/local/bin/atom but only root has execute access to it.
- The script should chown to the local user or inform the user how to do it themselves.
sudo chown $USER /usr/local/bin/atom]
For the mkdeb command
- I had to manually set $TMPDIR to /tmp before it would work.
- There was no console output explaining what went wrong with the command. I wish the errors were logged and presented to the user.
- Also there is no indication on the command line where to find the resulting /tmp/atom-build/atom-0.112.0-amd64.deb.
- I know the linux.md says where it will be but I missed that my first time through the instructions.
- It would have been nice if a dep package install command was presented to the user.
- Something like [
sudo dpkg -i /tmp/atom-build/atom-0.112.0-amd64.deb]
I have Atom installed and running now so it’s no big deal. These are just a couple suggestions that might make it easer on users in the future.