Problem with auto-updater

I’m having a hard time figuring how to use the auto-updater module in atom-shell. From what the docs says, the following code should at least issue a request on my local server, but unfortunately it does nothing, no errors, no event dispatched, nothing.

Here’s the code I use in my window startup script (not the app main, but the window one):

remote = require 'remote'
autoUpdater = remote.require 'auto-updater'

autoUpdater.on 'error', (e,m) -> console.log('error', e, m)
autoUpdater.on 'checking-for-update', (e,m) -> console.log('checking-for-update', e, m)
autoUpdater.on 'update-available', (e,m) -> console.log('update-available', e,m)
autoUpdater.on 'update-not-available', (e,m) -> console.log('update-not-available', e,m)

try
  autoUpdater.setFeedUrl "http://localhost:3001/client/latest?version=0.1.0"
  autoUpdater.checkForUpdates()
catch e
  console.log e

I’ve tried moving this code in the app main.js with no success.

If anyone that have worked with atom-shell and have successfully implemented the auto-update feature could help me finding what I did wrong it’ll be great.

cc/ @zcbenz @kevinsawicki

Configuration

• atom-shell v0.20.5
  • OSX 10.10.1

Is your app signed?

On Mac, it has to be for auto updates to work, there is usually a message logged to the Console.app about this.

Something like:

1/28/15 8:58:42.207 AM Atom[20157]: Could not get code signature for running application, application updates are disabled: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-67062 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -67062.)"

I haven’t tried with a signed app yet, I’ll try this tomorrow. I thought that Squirrel was just checking the signature of downloaded release, but if it checks the requesting app it could explain why it doesn’t call the server.

So it was effectively because the app wasn’t signed, thanks for the quick reply :).

Hi, I have the same issue as yours. I’m using electron v0.35.1 on os x with a local server to provide updates. I indeed signed my app, but it still do nothing when code executes autoUpdater.checkForUpdates(). Any ideas?

cc @kevinsawicki

Finally, I tried using https with a remote server, it works.

I have been trying to get an Electron app auto-updating. Could you share how you got the app signing to work? My setFeedURL is failing because it shows the app as not signed. Thanks.

For my experience, you should sign both your app currently running and the updates, and ensure your feed url is ‘https’.

I’m on OSX so I can only talk for signing on mac, here’s the grunt task I use:

grunt.registerTask 'app:sign', 'Sign the application', ->
    cmd = "codesign --deep --force --verbose --sign #{certificate_name} #{app_path}"
    cmd2 = "codesign --verbose --force --sign #{certificate_name} #{app_path}/Contents/MacOS/#{app_name}"
    promise = execute(cmd).then -> execute(cmd2)

terminate(promise).with(@async(), "Application signed #{'✓'.green}")

Which use the following helpers:

{exec, spawn} = require 'child_process'
{print} = require 'util'
Q = require 'q'

module.exports =
  terminate: (promise) ->
    with: (done, message) ->
      if typeof message is 'string'
        promise
        .then ->
          console.log message
          done?(true)
        .fail (reason) ->
          console.log reason
          done?(false)

else if typeof message is 'function'
        promise
        .then ->
          message()
          done(true)
        .fail (reason) ->
          console.log reason
          done(false)

execute: (command, options) ->
    console.log "execute `#{command}`".cyan
    defer = Q.defer()
    [command, args...] = if Array.isArray(command)
      command
    else
      command.split(/\s+/g)

exe = spawn command, args, options
    exe.stdout.on 'data', (data) -> print data
    exe.stderr.on 'data', (data) -> print data
    exe.on 'exit', (status) ->
      if status is 0 then defer.resolve(status) else defer.reject(status)

defer.promise