Problem re-publishing a deleted package

Hello all,

I recently found out that the package language-rapid had been discontinued by his author, and was no longer available; the download crashed because it pointed to a deleted github repo. So, I flagged the package a few days ago, and I believe it was removed from the package manager, since the url https://atom.io/packages/laguage-rapid yields a 404, and the package doesn’t show up on Atom’s package installer.

I fetched the old repo from a local copy, made some improvements and published a new version: https://github.com/garciadelcastillo/language-rapid. Now, I am trying to publish the new version under the old name, and I am getting this error:

Am I trying to do this too soon? Is there any database that needs to be updated? Or is there any other thing I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion here, you’re not doing anything wrong - I double checked and package names can’t be re-used when a package is deleted because of the security implications of using the same package name for a package originally created by someone else.

Thanks for your reply @rsese. Does this mean that this package name is now locked out forever (or until the original author wishes to republlish it?). Is there any way to claim that I intend to publish a fork of the original?

Does this mean that this package name is now locked out forever (or until the original author wishes to republlish it?).

With the current system, yes.

Is there any way to claim that I intend to publish a fork of the original?

I’m not sure what you mean here? The repository for the original package repository doesn’t exist anymore so it can no longer be forked on GitHub. You could always mention the original repo in your README?

What I mean is a way to prove that the code is essentially the same, so no security concerns, and therefore be able to reclaim the name. It’s not a real fork, but a virtual one, since I took the code from an old download and republished it on my Github. I am already acknowledging the original author on the README.

I will just publish it with a new name, but it might be a good idea to create a procedure to be able to republish packages. Or it may not… XD

Ahhh gotcha, thanks for clarifying - there’s no process for this on our end and publishing under a new name like you’ve done is the way to go for now.