Previewing themes on atom.io

I often find myself not installing a theme because of a lack of screenshot, and even when there’s one, it may not be useful as it often display only a subset of what it really provides (only a single language for syntax themes, or just an editor with the tree-view for UI themes).

As we deal with web technologies, it would be great if we could have some sort of preview on atom.io for those themes:

• For UI theme, the styleguide could be used to display the result of a theme, the less files can be compiled on the fly by the viewer browser.
  • For syntax themes, maybe we can make use of the vast amount of github projects to extract code sample and with a select to choose which language display in the preview (based on the grammars available in https://github.com/atom/highlights/tree/master/deps as a starter). The less files of the theme would be compiled by the client like for UI themes.

Obviously, previewing themes in a browser other than chrome could lead to some differences, but I’m pretty sure that the target audience won’t be bothered by that.

What do you think of it?

@thedaniel: Do you see anything that could be a showstopper for this kind of feature with the way atom.io is actually working?

Theme preview is something we’ve wanted to do for a while, I hope to see it ship someday.