Preserve indentation level for Plain Text files

I have the language-text package installed and the Auto Indent option in my Editor Settings is checked but I can’t seem to get Atom to maintain the indentation level for Plain Text files when I hit Enter. For example:

To do today:
  Look at Atom
  Look at CoffeeScript
|

The vertical slash in the code above is intended to represent the cursor after I’ve hit Enter to get to a new line. As you can see, it moves to the very beginning of the line when ideally it should preserve the indentation and instead be like this:

To do today:
  Look at Atom
  Look at CoffeeScript
  |

Indentation works for other file types – .rb, .js – but not for .txt files so how can I get this to work?

I’m not sure, it works that way by default for me:

The cursor is a little hazy, but it is where it is expected to be.

So what do you think might be causing this behavior? I noticed this was happening immediately after launching Atom for the first time since I have a todo.txt file that I like to check first every time I open any editor. Which settings should I be looking at that can possibly be the culprit?

Well, you mention you have the language-text package installed. That should come by default, did you install it specifically?

It came by default.

Do you have the “Auto Indent” setting checked?

Yes. It is checked.

Could you give the following information?

• Which version of Atom are you using?
  • What OS and version are you running?
  • Do you have Emmet installed?
  • Can you reproduce the issue after completely exiting Atom and restarting using atom --safe?

Also, if you go into the Settings View, search for the language-text package and click the background of the package tab, you can check to ensure that Auto Indent is also checked for Plain Text specifically:

Atom Version: 1.0.2
Emmet is installed
atom --safe reproduces the issue – there’s no change after restarting Atom with this flag
Auto Indent for the language-text package is indeed checked

Can you try closing the file and reopening it? Or try a brand-new file?

Other than that, I’d recommend:

1. Completely closing all instances of Atom
  2. Rename your ~/.atom directory to something else
  3. Start Atom again and see if that fixes it

Same problem here :(.

Do you finally resolved the problem?

I have Auto Indent enabled in all places, I have tried with and without emmet, and by deleting the .atom directory. Same result: I have no auto indentation for plan text files (with or without extension .txt)

EDIT: Forget what I said. It seems there is a problem with version 1.0.2. I’ve installed the version 1.0.19 and all is ok.

Thanks!