Possible Bug with Language-specific Configuration?

I’m getting some strange behaviour when adding language-specific configuration. All I’m trying to do is enable softWrap for Markdown files. Using the Atom docs found here, I’m adding the following to config.cson:

"*":
".source.gfm":
  editor:
    softWrap: true

However, if I save the file, close Atom’s Config Folder, then return and view config.cson, I see that it has been altered to the following:

"*":
".gfm.source":
  editor:

This doesn’t enable softwrap for Markdown files.

I have tried this using atom --safe with the same result. Is this a bug or am I missing something obvious?

The same holds true for any language, for example:

".source.ruby":
  editor:

Is converted to

".ruby.source":
  editor:

That’s because it doesn’t matter what order it’s in :slight_smile:. They’re equivalent. I’ll look into why it doesn’t work though in a bit.

Ah. Thanks. That makes sense. Don’t think it’s mentioned in the docs though. Just found the reason it wasn’t working and was unrelated to this.

I have this in my config:

".gfm.source":
  editor:
    showInvisibles: false
    tabLength: 4

And all of these settings work correctly for “GitHub Markdown”. Is that what it says in your status bar when you’re editing Markdown files?

Thanks. Problem was actually elsewhere, but all the docs show the scope as formatted “.source.gfm” so I incorrectly supposed that the problem lay there. In fact I needed to tweak two settings instead of one to get the effect I was after.