Port Atom.io to an in browser solution?

Hello,

I am fairly new to these forums so I apologize if this has come up in the past. From my understanding the Atom editor is much like a browser window with lot’s of tools packed in… Would it be possible given Atom’s setup, to port this to an in browser application much like “CodeAnywhere.com”?

I was thinking in terms of a user being able to download the AtomWeb version, push it to their web server via their desired protocol, and being able to navigate to a url and be served Atom on the fly strait from your web server itself. Simply log in to the AtomWeb interface and you’re presented with your server file structure.

Benefits to this approach:

• You could easily and quickly make changes to your content directly on your server from anywhere
  • You could implement a command line interface (Plugin or built in) that allows you to run commands on your server as if you were logged in via SSH.
  • This would be more secure than using a third party such as “CodeAnywhere.com
  • Maybe even implement some sort of website plugin that allows a user to edit content directly on the site via a rich text editor (Plugin idea for this?) Much easier to implement rather than a standard simple CMS due to the fact that Atom has access to the file structure to begin with, and can directly edit the html document instead of storing all data in a database.

Ultimately I would like to try my hand at creating something like this, and want to know if forking Atom and using Atom as a starting point would work. I haven’t delved too deeply into Atom’s innards yet… I do want to keep this totally platform independent though. I’m pro using things like coffee script or type script to develop the editor, but as long as the server has the common web technologies installed (php, ruby or mysql for example) then this application will work.

Yes, this has come up before :grinning:

The part about being presented with the server file structure is new though. Still, I think this discussion belongs on the original topic. We like to unify similar discussions under one topic so that people don’t have to read a bunch of different threads to get the whole story. Please continue the discussion there. I’ll be closing this topic as duplicate.

Ok thanks, I’ll follow that thread and see how deep the rabbit hole goes… :slight_smile: Seeing as I am new to this forum, do I need to delete this post? Or have you as a moderator hidden it? Just trying to find the best course of action now :slight_smile:

You don’t need to do anything with this post. I’ve marked it to auto-close after a certain length of no replies. I only hide posts that are a violation of the Code of Conduct. I leave posts like this locked but in the post history because it essentially makes searching for things easier … since everyone uses some slightly different variation of phrasing, it means that someone coming along later to use the search will more likely find one of the variations. Since they’re all linked, they’ll eventually find their way to the canonical topic :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.