PHP Ligature Support

Huge apologies if this question has been asked before. I’ve searched and can’t see that it has.

Does anyone know if ligature support for the PHP syntax plugin is being worked on? It works fine for Ruby, for example, but I’d really love to see it working for PHP too.

I’m not very familiar with what you’re asking about. In what way does the PHP language use ligatures?

Most of the time, features that are being worked on will have an issue open on the GitHub repo for the project.

Sorry, that’s what comes of posting in a hurry.

I’m talking about programming ligatures for fonts which support them, such as Fira Code, in which, for display purposes, multiple characters are joined together. So, -> becomes a single arrow, for example. Atom supports this, and the Ruby syntax plugin, for example, displays them correctly but the PHP syntax plugin does not.

I couldn’t find anything in the PHP syntax plugin repo’s issues but was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

I don’t know anything about it, but the first step would be to look at language-ruby and figure out what it’s doing.

Thanks, I will be doing that as soon as I get a chance. I suspect it won’t be a quick fix, though!

This seems to work when added to the stylesheet:

* {
  //-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;
  -webkit-font-feature-settings: "liga" on, "calt" on;
}
atom-text-editor::shadow {
  .cursor-line {
    -webkit-font-feature-settings: "liga" off, "calt" off;
  }
}

From https://discuss.atom.io/t/new-ligature-font-support-issue/22189