Opening old project reverted my file to an old version. How do I recover it?

Hi Atom community,

This may have been addressed already as it seems like a basic problem, but I could not find discussions on the topic (apologies if they do exist).

Here’s the issue I encountered (I am using Atom 1.24.0 on a Mac): I opened a file I hadn’t worked with for a while (opening the file from Finder opened it in Atom as configured). This opened an old project which consisted of that file in addition to another file. This second file is something that I had worked with more recently in a separate Atom project and made quite a lot of changes to. As the second file opened in Atom, it overwrote its more recent version with the old version associated with this old project. Now, when I open it from Finder I see the old version.

Hence my question: is there a way to recover the more recent version? This version is not associated with any Atom projects (this is because I recently started closing windows before closing Atom, partially to try to prevent things like this from happening as this is the second time I am experiencing this). I realize my problem is symptomatic of poor project management (something I intend to get better at). But for now I am wondering if there is a way to restore my file.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Sorry for the trouble here @Seaborn - based on your description I’m not sure if there’s a way within Atom to retrieve that other version of the file unfortunately (assuming this wasn’t version controlled?). If anyone else has any ideas, would love to hear them though.

You mentioned that you’ve seen this behavior before, do you happen to have exact steps that would reproduce? I tried to reproduce on macOS 10.12.6 based on your description but wasn’t able to repro.