Opening JSON file 'EPERM: operation not permitted' when installed for all users

I’m a linux user, so it could be im just asking a very stupid question…:sunglasses:

But, on windows, when I do a production build with electron-builder, install the created build and select to install for ‘all users’, the server gets a permission error when trying to open json files.

EPERM: operation not permitted, open 'C:\Program Files\TradeJS\resources\app\server\config\tradejs.config.json.

Pretty simple permission problem I would say, but the only thing google learns me is that its a bad practise to install the app in the program files folder?? The recommendation is to install it in c:\LoremIpsum\etc,

But I cannot agree with that, cause all programs are installed in program files is it not??

Also when I install as ‘current user only’, the problem does not exist…

Any thoughts??

Thanks guys!

Window.open does not work when main process has forked children

Writing in program files require admin right. That is probably what is missing. (Looks like reading too)

If you want to deploy without right, I think Atom itself follow the best practice, thru squirrel installer.
User data in: %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming
Binary in : %UserProfile%\AppData\Local

%UserProfile% default to something like: C:\Users\UserName

Thanks @jeancroy for the quick response! Will try that.

Is there a way to do it with the NSIS installer also? Or do you not recommend using that installer?

I never tried but

$PROFILE might be equivalent to %UserProfile%
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter4.html#variables

Not all. The Program Files folders are protected so that you know that anything in them was given explicit administrator permission to be there. This is a measure to protect novice users and causes trouble for valid use cases where the user knows what they’re doing. I have a lot of programs outside of those two folders.