Opening file in new window

When I open a file from the command line or a file manager the file opens in a currently existing Atom window.

This is very inconvenient for me since I often have one window open that’s used for work.

When I’m doing something else and need to edit a file I don’t want to have to go to the desktop with the existing window since I most likely have the things related to the editing I want to do on the desktop I’m on. Even if I don’t I’d like to have whatever I’m doing separated from my work.

When searching about this issue I found plenty of posts about the opposite issue so I assume this is behavior that have been changed at some point, which leads me to assume that there’s a setting for it somewhere since it would be strange to change fundamental behavior to suit some users preference without the option to turn it back.

So I’m wondering if there really is an setting somewhere and if so where? I’ve found no references to is so I’m starting to doubt it’s existence.

You can open a file in a new window from the command line by executing atom --new-window file.txt

Okay, thanks.

I can make an alias for it to save some typing and I think I can use it as a command to run when opening a file from my file manager.

So with a little tweaking my issues are resolved, which is nice.

I find it interesting that there seems to be so few that have this issue, I didn’t think my workflow/setup was so unusual, for my uses the default behavior is never the one I want.

Thanks for the help, I might have had to use another editor if I couldn’t get around it. I’m glad I didn’t have to since there’s a lot of things I do like.