Noob theme modification question

I’m sorry that this is such a noob question. I’d like to modify a theme or make some sort of extension for Atom.io. Or maybe there’s a feature already to do this. I LOVE the way that my theme turns the word NOTE to purple. I would also like to do something similar with the word “lecture.” I take notes with ATOM during my programming classes and it’s kind of hard to tell where one lecture ends and another begins.

If that’s going to be a pain in the butt, is there a way to add a highlight to my text?

NOTE is highlighted by the language-todo package. You could create your own copy of language-todo that added LECTURE to the list of words highlighted by it.

AWESOME! Thank you!

I’m missing a step. I downloaded that package as a zip. I edited the entire package and basically duplicated the note function for every type of file and edited that for my lecture keyword. Now I don’t know how to install this newly modified package.

Any help please???
Thanks!

You can use the apm link command to link the package into the right place so that it gets loaded instead of the built-in one. Keep in mind though that you may need to keep your customized version up-to-date with the built-in version or things might not work the way you expect.