Newbie unsure how to install new packages

I’m completely new to both Atom and programming so this might be a very basic (translation: dumb) question.

I’m starting out with learning Ruby and I’d like to be able to run the scripts I’m writing within Atom. Is this possible without installing a new package that allows you to run scripts?

I didn’t think it was, so I went off in search of a package that would serve my needs. I found two: atom runner master and atom script 2.3.5. My problem is that I’m unsure how to actually install them.

I’ve tried searching for them (after moving the packages into the /.atom/packages folder) via the Preferences > Packages tab, but they can’t be found there. I also tried opening my Mac’s terminal and typing in the apm install but my terminal is saying it doesn’t recognize the apm command (I was trying to follow the instructions on the following post: http://joshbranchaud.com/blog/2014/02/27/Installing-Packages-In-Atom-Editor.html).

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew

Have you tried AppleMenu->Install Shell Commands?

That will get you ‘apm’, then you can continue from there.

I hadn’t yet. Thanks!

It seems to work now, aside from it saying the files I’ve downloaded can’t be found. I assume I’m just going to have to figure out exactly how to type the file name of the packages I’ve downloaded and from there it should be fairly simple to get them installed and working.

I appreciate your quick response. This is all really new to me, but Atom looks like a great editor once I eventually get the hang of it.

There are multiple ways to install packages but I’m gonna list the easiest one. To install packages, go to Atom -> Preferences and open the Packages tab. Another way to get to the menu is using the Command Palette. Press cmd-shift-P to bring up the Command Palette and then start typing, packages. You should then see the Settings View: Install Packages option show up in the palette.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks very much. I got the script installed, so now it’s just figuring out how to use it.

I appreciate the help from you both.

Glad I was able to help you. :smiley:

And your welcome. :slight_smile:

Just wanted to pop back in and let you guys know that I was able to install it and it’s working now.

Thanks so much for your patience and willingness to help an utter n00b. :smile:

[quote=“KamranMackey, post:4, topic:9007”]
There are multiple ways to install packages but I’m gonna list the easiest one. To install packages, go to Atom -> Preferences and open the Packages tab.[/quote]

I do not find “Preferences” under the “Packages” tab.

On a PC, neither ctrl-shift-P nor windows-shift-P brings up the palette.

How do I load a package?

You open preferences (also called settings) and go to the Install tab (at the bottom; below Themes and Updates).

As for the command palette, is there a shortcut next to View -> Toggle Command Palette in the menu bar at the top?

I stumbled across FIle | Settings | Packages

It is tough to learn how to use an editor when the user interface has had major changes TWICE.

“As for the command palette”, what is it used for?

The introductory material must certainly be clear to the experienced user.

For the absolute beginner, it is not useful at all.

How could I even want to modify and hack an editor and write scripts when I cannot get it to do was the reason I tried the editor.

Supposedly a good editor for programming, but to do that Atom needs to check syntax.

The manual says nothing about that.

Please read the flight manual before complaining about lack of material. The first section literally has what you’re asking about. I don’t think there is a simply way to explain it than this.

https://flight-manual.atom.io/getting-started/sections/atom-basics/#atom-basics

For example, the Command Palette entry says the following

This search-driven menu can do just about any major task that is possible in Atom. Instead of clicking around all the application menus to look for something, you can press Ctrl+Shift+P and search for the command.

And the settings entry says how to open the settings

To open the Settings View, you can:

• Use the File > Settings menu item in the menu bar
  • Search for settings-view:open in the Command Palette
  • Use the Ctrl+, keybinding

Hacking Atom will require some knowledge of JavaScript (or CoffeeScript). Once you learn that though, just about everything can be modified.

If you are just learning to use Atom now, how are the previous UI organizations relevant? You don’t need to look at old versions of Atom, just the one you have in front of you. You don’t have to watch videos or screenshots of people using old versions of Atom when you can just click through every menu and read what they do.

The introductory material must certainly be clear to the experienced user.

The software is targeted at programmers, as a code editor, so the documentation presumes a minimal amount of software savvy.

" If you are just learning to use Atom now, how are the previous
UI organizations relevant?"

They are not.

But, when you have a question, not easily answered by the software, you search the internet. And you find help about using earlier verasions. JUst frustrating.

" The software is targeted at programmers, as a code editor, so the documentation presumes a minimal
amount of software savvy."

Certainly. But when you have fundamental questions, such topics are not helpful.

Hacking the editor was not the issue.
The issue was trying to do simple, fundamental things in the editor where the Help system was not helpful.

Where was the flight manual not helpful?

In the two cases you pointed out, I showed one of the first pages had exactly the answer you were looking for.