I think finding a UI and Syntax theme is important. I gravitate towards light themes, but it seems like people prefer the dark ones. This is something that I may just keep changing moving forward.
Important to me:
- minimap - it makes getting around way easier
- wrap in tag - this makes it easier to add tags to content
- projects - I am using them now and had to change my workflow of constantly hitting folders
- Snippets - I figured out how to use this effectively. I really hate snippets in proprietary programs and usually just have an html file housing them…BUT this is not proprietary and they are easy to access.
- multiplatform - I can use the same text editor in Linux and Windows
What I missing and would love to find an alternative:
- Search and Replace macro - I think this may be considered keystroke macro. I have about 5 search and replace items for what could be two different macros. This is easy to do in a Windows text editor. There is a package in the list that claims to do this but it fails to install. Examples of what is in my macro:
Replace special characters with html equivalents. Add styles to paragraph tags, blockquotes, etc. Clean 2 spaces with 1 space throughout the document.
I found html-special-character-replacer and swapped the default list with my own list. Most of the stuff that I wanted to replace was special characters, but I do not need the huge list provided. Big thanks for the person that developed this package: BRiL1201. I think he can rebrand it as a search and replace tool, and provide instructions how to customize it. It would be nice if it had an option to choose between js files. This is a start for me. Manually, someone could start Atom with different js files if more than one is needed.
text = text.replace(/“/g,’“’);
text = text.replace(/”/g,’”’);
text = text.replace(/…/g,’…’);
text = text.replace(/–/g,’–’);
text = text.replace(/—/g,’—’);