New to JavaScript

I’d rather use JavaScript than CoffeeScript for Atom development right now. I know that’s an issue that’s been discussed to death, so I’m not looking for flames. I’m looking for documentation, tutorials and examples for Atom development in JavaScript.

When I learned CSS, I wrote in CSS until I was comfortable enough with it to start to use Sass and/or LESS. It would have been awkward learning Sass without having first learned CSS. And the same seems to apply here - I need to get up to speed in JavaScript before tackling CoffeeScript.

So, pointers for JavaScript newbies wanting to create things for Atom?

Most (if not all) examples in the docs are written in CoffeeScript right now. You could copy-paste them on the coffee-script website when you click the “try coffeescript” button at the top of the page - it translates into JavaScript on the right side - to get a rough idea of what’s happening.

Perhaps @bolinfest has some suggestions since he wrote the ES6 support for the most part? Also, @thomasjo just got done converting at least one of his packages to ES6.

I use a nice chrome extension that converts both ways between CS and JS. It is called Try Coffeescript Enhanced.

I’ve also just converted one package to es6 from coffeescript, but to me, the experience was “Just write JS instead of CS”. Not very helpful to someone wanting to learn either :wink:

Yeah, or you could use one of the million atom packages that does it for you :wink:

Whatever you do, do not use the transpiled JS from e.g. coffee-script. You should hand-roll your JS. I highly recommend taking advantage of the Babel transpiler which is supported in Atom out of the box. Just begin your JS files with "use babel"; and then check out https://babeljs.io/docs/learn-es6/.

I quite recently converted my LaTeX package from CS to JS. You can check out the work I did here if you’re interested: https://github.com/thomasjo/atom-latex/pull/76.

I prefer coffeescript over JS simply to avoid the orgy of dollar signs and anonymous functions with brackets. It’s just nicer to read.

@samis I agree that CoffeeScript is “nicer” to read and simpler to type than JavaScript, but as a newbie to JavaScript, I would rather learn that and later expand to CoffeeScript. Atom using CoffeeScript by default means I’m looking for tutorials and examples in JavaScript while I learn JavaScript and programming to Atom’s API. Hence this thread.

I wasn’t addressing you directly. It was more of a general comment.

It is very easy to convert JS to CS. You can convert JS examples to CS and learn in a completely CS environment.

I use a chrome browser extension called try coffeescript extended. One click, a paste, and you can see the CS.

My hope is to find tutorials and examples for Atom development written in JavaScript. I don’t want to learn CoffeeScript right now, or maybe never.

I think the best examples you’re going to find right now are the packages mentioned above.

I believe my package (linked further up) is a decent example of idiomatic ES6/ES7 code. Some non-trivial bits in there as well. Let us know if/when you have concrete problems or questions.

Thanks, guys. I got my one-step-beyond-trivial package converted to JavaScript and JSON after having built it from CoffeeScript and CSON example code. This post helped, too:

So now it’s time to learn more JavaScript and then try a more ambitious package.

Indeed it is. And I agree with your premise that Atom would be better off if development were primary in JavaScript (ES6, preferably) in place of CoffeeScript.

We have been extremely happy and productive using Babel for Nuclide. I would spend some quality time on http://es6-features.org/ to get up to speed on all of the features of JavaScript that are available to you in ES6 that weren’t available to you in ES5.

Further, I would also get comfortable with async/await. I’m hoping to make time to write my own tutorial, as I haven’t found an external one that I’m really happy with yet. It boils down to a handful of rules:

• The await keyword can be used only in a function that is declared async.
  • An async function always returns a Promise (no matter what you might think).
  • await takes an expression that evaluates to a Promise and returns the value that the Promise resolves to. (This means that it gives up the event loop while it is waiting for the Promise to be determined.)
  • An ordinary try/catch can be used to wrap an await expression to catch a rejected Promise.

If you aren’t up to speed on Promises, I recommend http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/es6/promises/.

I’ve found an awesome book series on javascript. Truly worth the read! (though it might take a week, or 2). It goes through about everything there is to know about the language (not just “the good parts”) at an easy pace :smile:. And best of all, it’s free and open source! (but printed copies also for sale)

Here’s some more of the best JavaScript books & tutorials.

hey
how to convert the alphabets into numbers in javascript (eg: a=1,b=2,…,h=8…etc)