New Set Up Failed After Reinstallation Attempt When Atom Froze

I am new to Atom. I installed Atom and began using it. It then froze on me and I could not get it to work again. I am using Windows 10. I uninstalled Atom and I have attempted to reinstall. I continue to get an error message that it cannot install and says to examine the Set Up Log which is extremely long. I have tried to download the install exe a couple of different times and that does not seem to have made a difference.

I am not an expert at this sort of thing. I just wanted a program to be able to compare determine where errors are located in csv files being uploaded to Shopify.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a portion of the Set Up Log, I am not sure what parts are relevant.

Thank you.

2016-02-19 17:31:53> Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install .

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

2016-03-23 12:16:54> CheckForUpdateImpl: First run or local directory is corrupt, starting from scratch
2016-03-23 12:16:54> ApplyReleasesImpl: Writing files to app directory: C:\Users\Craig\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.6.0
2016-03-23 12:17:28> IEnableLogger: Failed to install package to app dir: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'resources' is denied.
   at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.MoveTo(String destDirName)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassaf.<>c__DisplayClassb4.<>c__DisplayClassb6.<installPackageToAppDir>b__ad(DirectoryInfo subdir)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass18`1.<>c__DisplayClass1a.<ForEachAsync>b__17()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass1e`1.<>c__DisplayClass20.<<ForEachAsync>b__1d>d__22.MoveNext()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassaf.<>c__DisplayClassb4.<installPackageToAppDir>b__ac(DirectoryInfo ld)
   at Squirrel.EnumerableExtensions.ForEach[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Action`1 onNext)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassaf.<<installPackageToAppDir>b__a8>d__b8.MoveNext()

2016-03-23 12:18:05> CheckForUpdateImpl: First run or local directory is corrupt, starting from scratch
2016-03-23 12:18:05> ApplyReleasesImpl: Writing files to app directory: C:\Users\Craig\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.6.0
2016-03-23 12:18:34> IEnableLogger: Failed to install package to app dir: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'resources' is denied.
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassaf.<>c__DisplayClassb4.<>c__DisplayClassb6.<installPackageToAppDir>b__ad(DirectoryInfo subdir)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass18`1.<>c__DisplayClass1a.<ForEachAsync>b__17()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass1e`1.<>c__DisplayClass20.<<ForEachAsync>b__1d>d__22.MoveNext()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassaf.<>c__DisplayClassb4.<installPackageToAppDir>b__ac(DirectoryInfo ld)
   at Squirrel.EnumerableExtensions.ForEach[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Action`1 onNext)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassaf.<<installPackageToAppDir>b__a8>d__b8.MoveNext()

2016-03-23 12:18:34> Unhandled exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'resources' is denied.
   at Squirrel.Utility.<LogIfThrows>d__54`1.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<ApplyReleases>d__78.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.<FullInstall>d__f.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<Install>d__37.MoveNext()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.executeCommandLine(String[] args)
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.main(String[] args)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'resources' is denied.
   at Squirrel.Utility.<LogIfThrows>d__54`1.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<ApplyReleases>d__78.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.<FullInstall>d__f.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<Install>d__37.MoveNext()
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'resources' is denied.
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass1e`1.<>c__DisplayClass20.<<ForEachAsync>b__1d>d__22.MoveNext()<---
<---

This error message is typically because an anti-virus program is blocking the installation. You may want to try temporarily disabling your anti-virus program before installing Atom.

I hope that helps!

You were correct. The program was able to install once I disabled my anti-virus program. Thank you for the suggestion.

I have been using Atom for over a year now and wanted to reinstall. Now I get this same error and there is no earthly way to disable McAfee VirusScan Enterprise. Is there really no other way for me to get Atom installed again?

You could use the Zip version of Atom from https://github.com/atom/atom/releases/latest. This version won’t auto-update itself though, so you’ll need to do that manually in the future.