[New feature] Drag installed packages into the Menu Bar

We need feature to drag installed packages into the Menu Bar for quick access to the package functions.

Packages appear in the menu based on whether their creator decided to define a menu for them. If there’s no menu definition, then Atom can’t know what to display. If you want quick access to specific packages that aren’t on the menu, you can always set up a custom toolbar.

I’m sure there must be a way to do develop package that could do this and make everyone’s life better,
Even if there is none, it’s must be in the future. As this is the thing where not everyone wants to go and hack most of the time, when it can be done using UI, it’s more practical for the beginners. And beginners are the most important thing for wider use of Atom.io in the future.

Wait a minute, did you mean atom.io main feature is hackability and you can’t hack/add something to the vanilla Menu Bar? I hope that’s a joke.

There seems to be an author that tried to do a manager for the atom.io
https://github.com/jerone/menu-manager/issues/2

Problem - he got bored and no one knows if it’s hard to do or he is just a boring person.

Packages generally don’t have control over other packages. I’m sure you could use the Electron API to overwrite that menu entirely if you wanted to, but the standard practice for adding menu items is to drop them in a menus/package-name.cson file and let Atom propagate the list on its own.

As this is the thing where not everyone wants to go and hack most of the time, when it can be done using UI, it’s more practical for the beginners.

Nobody has yet built a package that provides a GUI for something like this, to my knowledge. The community here tends to be made up of the sort of people who are perfectly fine hacking everything they’re invested in until the editor works in precisely the way they want it to, so they don’t necessarily think of the time a GUI takes as being worth it to avoid having to edit very simple CSON files. That’s the target market and that’s where Atom’s features have been pointed. If you go back in development, you’ll see that more things are getting abstracted and/or brought into the GUI over time, such as the recent docks addition and the upcoming Git integrations.

If you go back and read what I read, you’ll see that I said no such thing. In fact, packages add things to the menu bar all the time. You can too, and the easiest way is to start a package and populate the menus directory with a file that references commands in other packages. If you look at the Hydrogen menu file that I posted earlier, you can see that it calls hydrogen:run. That command name could be anything else, such as tree-view:toggle or core:new-file.