Named sessions

Is there a way to have named sessions in atom. So that I can I can save a session with a name (say X) and start another session without affecting my session X.
Use Case:
I use atom as my primary code editor. So I have a bunch of repos open (as project folders) in the editor. Lets say I close this session but as I want to use atom as my default editor, I want all text files to open in atom. But if I open any text file in atom, my session containing all my project folders (and open tabs) will be overwritten.

If its something already available, can somebody point me in the right direction?

By default, Atom remembers your state for the root directory in the tree view. If you go back to the same directory, your state will be restored. That’s pretty cumbersome to have to do all the time, but there are a few packages that can make it easier. The one I use and contribute to is Project Viewer. For any set of tree view paths and open documents you want to remember, you can just create a project and Atom will know what you had open last time. It’s got nesting capabilities, customizable icons for easy reference, and we’re adding new features all the time.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was just checking out Project Viewer, it will suffice for now.
As you are contributing to it, do have any idea where I can get the exhaustive list of icons that can be used in the ‘icon’ field?

Sure thing. Currently the available icons are from the Octicons and Devicons sets, and listed in the package code in octicons.json and devicons.json. The icons are displayed on the panel using CSS, so adding a single custom icon is as easy as one CSS rule in your stylesheet, and I can’t speak for the others, but there are definitely other icon fonts that could be added if there was interest.

Thanks you!

And concerning the topic generally, any package (or even scripts or shortcuts on your desktop) that tells Atom to open an instance at a particular path will give you access to the saved state information for that path. If you search the packages for “project”, you’ll find a number of solutions. This is really convenient for opening things from the command line, since I navigate my git repos via my terminal a lot.