Multi pane workflow is kind of a deal breaker for a lot of people. Anyone else have things they’d like to see? Here are a few of mine:
- Panes should be able exist regardless if they contain an open file. We should be able to define a layout of our panes, 3x3, 2x2, 3x2 for example and save that layout. In ST2 I have multiple layouts saved for small and large screen development.
- Panes should be resizable. Ideally when you grab the intersection of more than two panes you should be able to resize all of them.
- panes should be assigned a number from left to right, each navigable by a keyboard shortcut such as cmd + 1 or cmd +2. In the event that there are more than one row of panes the number continues on the left most pane of the next pane
- have the option to not open the current document in the new pane, not everyone looking at multi pane development wants the same document open twice.
- Another nice option I use from time to time in ST2 is the ability for making the focused pane larger by a certain percentage.