Mutliple Atom entries in "Open With"

I’m seeing multiple entries within my “Open With” menu (I’d provide a screenshot but forum won’t let me upload one)

Currently I have:

• Atom (0.69.0)
  • Atom (0.67.0)
  • Atom (0.67.0)
  • Atom (0.67.0)

…within my “Open With” menu

Atom Editor will be listed multiple times in MacOS X native right-click menu
Multiple atom in Mac Open with
Atom and OSX Launch Services
Multiple atom versions listed in application association registry
Anyone else getting this bug when using "Open with"? Or is it just my computer

This article should help you clean up the ‘Open With’ menu.

How to spring clean “Open With” duplicates

I wrote a quick Ruby script for this so I can just run it occasionally …

Rebuilding the Launchservices list is only a temporary fix. Atom keeps filling the context menu time and again with 4 entries. This is an issue that needs to be addressed on Atoms side…

I have filed a bug about it.

@KrisJanssen - What is the bug number, I would like to track it.

Thanks!

@BradRuderman: Maybe my wording was a bit unfortunate… I reported the issue through Atom itself and got a reply from @izuzak telling me an issue was opened.

I did not actually file the bug itself, hence I could not tell you the bug number although I myself would also love to track this…

Sorry for the confusion! The issue was opened on Atom’s core repository, which is not public currently. Once the issue has been resolved - I’d be happy to follow up here and let you know. :+1:

Any news on this, my open with is getting a little junked up with each release.

Thanks!

How is this not fixed yet? +1 for being super frustrated with this bug.

@izuzak Now that the repository is open, could you link the bug here? I can’t seem to find it :cry:

@leedohm Sure, I think this is it https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/1720 (not easily searchable, I agree)

This does happen with other applications, and there’s uncertainty about whether it’s an OS X or Atom bug, consensus seems to be OS X. I worked around it by adding the recommended commands to an alias to my .bash_profile so I can just do killdups when it happens:

alias killdups='/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user;killall Finder;echo "Rebuilt Open With, relaunching Finder"'