Move indent guide a little to the right?

hello. recently i figured out a nice way to get the indent style i like. but is there a clean way to move them to the right a little ?

currently, base.less has this:

.indent-guide {
    color: #000;
    border-left: 1px dashed @mid-gray;
 }

Try this:

.indent-guide {
    border-left: 1px dashed @mid-gray;
    margin-left: 2px;
    margin-right: -2px;
 }

thanks that fits well, aesthetically. though it does make it behave a little strangely when typing, i don’t think i’ll push it much past 2px

I’m not seeing any strange behavior. If you can precisely describe how it’s acting or can record a GIF, that would be helpful.

I noticed some cursor funkiness when I initially threw in a margin-left: 2px line, but then I added the margin-right, that shifted things back, and the cursor always appears to me in the position it should be in.

It’s odd that the indent guides aren’t decorations, but are in the same flow as the actual text.

well when i put it to 7px, it looked just like i wanted it, but then behaved a little funny

but you’re right it might just be the way that atom is made - your solution is probably the best solution. maybe the indent feature is just not that well tuned on atom

That’s because you have the indent guides going past the text, which is not how they’re constructed to work. It’s not a question of tuning, just a question of Atom being built in a way you didn’t expect. You can always disable the default ones and write your own as decorations.

What if you did:

.indent-guide {
    border-right: 1px dashed @mid-gray;
 }

Is that any better?

yeah i tried border-right before making this thread but wasn’t so keen on how it looks. the 7px with the margin-* was the best looking, but the least functional. i’ll just stick to 3px with the margin-*
don’t worry about this issue anymore, it’s not important, thanks for the help

Is changing your tab width an option maybe?
Then you should be able to leave the indent guides at their default behaviour?