Hi there. I’d like to report some apparently inconsistent behavior with double-click selection. It’s language-inspecific.
Behavior A (the intuitive & customary behavior):
- Drag-select some code or word. Do not use double-click.
- A couple lines away, do a different drag-select on a different word. The originally-selected code is deselected and a new selection begins. Pretty much what we’re used to without a modifier key. Good.
Now clear your selection, and try…
Behavior B (the eye-crossing behavior):
- Select the same word in code that you did in A(1) but use double-click this time.
- Try A(2), again using a drag-select. This time, Atom tries to expand your selection instead of starting a new one.
The two problems that I see with this are:
- Behavior B is kind of exasperating & unnatural to be enabled by default without a keypress (e.g. Shift)
- If we’re gonna have both behaviors, I think there should at least be a visual indication of which mode you’re in.