Minimun requirements electron releases

Hi,
first of all congrats! I really love electron, very useful development. I´m looking for official info about operating system requirements and will be awesome if you publish it. Now I´m developing an app for Windows OS using node v0.29 and I wonder what happens if I use win32 release in 64bits OS with 1GB memory. Or what happens if I use applets in this app, should I configure windows system?
Anyway this kind of info will help most of us to continue growing with electron.

Thanks in advance,
Alberto

What sort of system requirements are you looking for?

I mean, will be great you publish info about minimum requirements for all architectures (linux, win and OS X). Will be great:

• System memory requirements.
  • NPAPI plugins allowed (applets…)
  • OS configuration, will modify app behaviour? i.e. Java parameters
  • Minimun OS versions (Win7, OS X 10.9, linux…). Deployment and running apps.
  • OS language will affect apps?

Thanks in advance,
Alberto

It’s an application framework, so a lot of what you’re asking is up to how you build the application. I think the only one of the questions you gave that can be answered with any finality is the minimum OS version which is OS X 10.8 or higher, Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 or higher and who really knows on Linux :grinning:

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of GitHub nor a member of the Atom core or Electron teams. The above should not be considered “official”.

Thanks,
I agree with you, anyway in my opinion, tech info is always welcome and help new developers to start or choose this framework.

Just FYI, I’ve done some testing of a reasonably simple electron app on different machines.

Lowest spec machine I’ve tested on is a Windows 7, Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM and a mechanical hard drive. It ran perfectly even with a number of other apps open. I then physically removed 2GB of RAM and rebooted, the app ran ok on its own but as soon as I opened a few more apps it became noticeably sluggish.

Anecdotal of course and based on one test but I would say 2GB RAM is the bare minimum for an Electron app. The minimum specs for 64-bit Windows 7 and OS X 10.8 are 2GB RAM anyway so it’s reasonable to just specify a minimum OS and ignore the rest of the specs.

Thanks @davej, useful info :ok_hand: