<head>
    <title>Hello World!</title>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="iron.js"></script>
  </head>
  <body>
    <a href="#" onclick="largenTheThing()">Click here!</a>
  </body>
</html>

I knew it couldn’t work, but I had to try anything just to be sure that it couldn’t be that easy before wasting your time.

I know that proper function is win.setSize(width, height), but wrong function isn’t the problem, since error is about mainWindow not being defined. Any way to get that working?

~ I could include the main.js (and it may or may not work), but is there any other cleaner way?~
Nevermind, doesn’t work: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘setSize’ of undefined.

You can use the ipc module to communicate between the main process and renderer processes.

I couldn’t understand IPC for heck. No examples and too strict. Also, I’m stupid, and I don’t know Node.JS for crap (my first time ever using such tool, mostly I’ve been using jQuery). Which makes it extra difficult.

Instead went for Remote which claims: The remote module provides a simple way to do inter-process communication (IPC) between the renderer process (web page) and the main process.

But even then:

var remote = require('remote');
var mainWindow = remote.require('browser-window');

function largenTheThing() {
    mainWindow.setSize(1000, 600);
}

Resulted in: Uncaught TypeError: mainWindow.setSize is not a function.

If it’s not a function, what is it? Apparently it does recognize mainWindow and it “knows” for a fact that setSize() is not a function, but exists… so I think it kind of works, except for setSize() part.

Changing it to:
mainWindow.setSize({width: 1000, height: 600}); same error.
mainWindow.setSize({1000, 600}); syntax error, “unexpected ,”

I’m having a hard time understanding what you’re trying to accomplish. Do you want to have a button that when clicked changes the size of the window containing the button?

Indeed. The button happens to be in mainWindow, the very first window spawned by main.js.

Sorry for not being clear enough.

Try this:

main.js

var app = require('app')
var BrowserWindow = require('browser-window')
var ipc = require('ipc')
var mainWindow = null
app.on('ready', function () {
  mainWindow = new BrowserWindow({width: 800, height: 600})
  mainWindow.loadUrl(`file://${ __dirname}/index.html`)
})
ipc.on('resize', function (e, x, y) {
  mainWindow.setSize(x, y)
})

index.html

<!DOCTYPE html>
<title>test</title>
<button>click</button>
<script>
  var ipc = require('ipc')
  var btn = document.querySelector('button')
  btn.addEventListener('click', function (e) {
    e.preventDefault()
    ipc.send('resize', 600, 800)
  })
</script>

OH!!

Now it’s so much clearer! Ooooh… thanks! If I were creator of Electron, I’d consider adding this example to the docs. It’s SO MUCH clearer now.

Thanks.

The beauty of open source is that we’re all collaboratively the creators of Electron. Submit a Pull Request with your suggested changes to the documentation :grinning: Documentation PRs are an easy sell, typically. My first PRs for Atom were documentation fixes. It’s a great way to get started with a project.

Yea, sometimes I forget how OpenSource actually works, but sure!

At least there’s that one way to thank Atom for initiating creation of this awesome tool.

Edit: I’m here because I clicked New Pull Request, but before I get to click the button Create Pull Request on the next page it gets grayed-out and the message next to it says: “Choose different branches or forks above to discuss and review changes.”. Regardless which branch I choose there’s no further follow-up to any type of “pull requests”. And I feel like I’m in very wrong place. I’m stuck :frowning:. Help :cry:.

I like this tutorial on the general flow that GitHub models:

https://guides.github.com/introduction/flow/index.html

And here are a couple tutorials on making Pull Requests in specific:

Might be a little late, but I got ehre looking for the same, so this might help others.
A way to accomplish this is:

// In your script that is not main
var remote = require(‘remote’);
remote.getCurrentWindow().setSize(600, 600);

The problem with the initial code is that mainWindow is actually the browser-window module loaded in the main
process, not the actual window.

Regards!

Hi,

I trying to make 2 windows exchange some message. One of the window load local html file, the other one load an url. So I try to listen message event from each and path them to the other one.

Looks like I can do that using require(‘ipc[SOMETHING]’) but when I call require from the page I got undefined, any idea?

(I’m using last version of Electron and ipc doesn’t exist anymore, replaced by ipcMain and ipcRenderer)

Regards

Ok I found why I can’t access to require, I have to set the property nodeIntegration at true like that:

win = new BrowserWindow({
‘webPreferences’: {
‘nodeIntegration’: true
}
});

Regards