Main menu keyboard shortcut conflicts?

when i press alt the F in the File menu is underlined yet when i press ALT+F i get editor:move-to-end-of-word?
and when i press ALT+H to supposedly access the help menu i get editor:delete-to-beginning-of-word?
the rest work
windows

conflict only happens when an editor window has focus i guess
it works fine when for example all files are closed

I noticed that too earlier today on Windows. Now I’m not on Windows anymore so I can’t test. It didn’t occur to me to try this earlier.

Perhaps it works to tap the Alt key (so press it and then release it), and then hit the F key.

I noticed the same problems mentioned by rakkarage running Linux:

Desktop: Cinnamon 64-bit

At least in my version of Linux Mint, it does not work. Nor can I use the left/right arrow keys to get there from one of the menu items that doesn’t have its key binding overridden. In fact, I could not find any way to access the File or Help menus from the keyboard.

I’m new, so I don’t really know how things work here, but this is a serious usability problem and accessibility issue. It seems to me that the default mapping should be to the menus. If someone who expects alt-f to be cursor navigation binding won’t be surprised when it opens up the File menu.

I, on the other hand, was very close to uninstalling Atom, when the very first thing I did (try to openi a file) didn’t seem to do anything at all.

For other people’s reference, the Issue tracking this is here:

Tapping Alt to bring up the menu bar is specific to Windows, I believe. It could be that the F10 key does the trick on Linux, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. (On the other hand, if you are on Linux, it takes you about two seconds to try it out…)