Lost my python code

Lost all my python code after an upgrade to Windows 10. Any suggestions on how to prevent in the future?

What has this got to do with Atom?

File management is normally very separate to a text editor. Unless you believe Atom had a part in losing the code, it seems unrelated.

Also, please always use version control for anything you don’t want to lose. The number of people who come here saying “I lost a days work because reasons” is just too high. GitHub and Gitlab are both good choices for storing it online. Both also work well with Atom (because they use git)

Thanks. I only code as a hobby as I am retired. I did not lose any code that was stored in other locations on my local drive. I love Atom, but am now very wary of using it. I might try local GitHub, but will probably just store a second copy in a non-Atom folder. I also seem to be getting Atom upgrades every couple of days. I started with 1.26.1, and have received 1.2.7.0 and 1.2.7.1 the last two a week apart. Everything in the folder for 1.2.6.1 has been completely emptied. This is where I had stored my python code.

The .atom folder should never be used for storing code, it’s for storing Atom specific configuration and other files, and will be overridden on update.

Also (and this is a common misconception) git is the version control software, and GitHub is a company that lets you store git repositories online. You can have git without GitHub.

For open source projects, GitHub repositories are free. If you want to prevent people seeing them and the contents, there is a paid option.

The best alternative to GitHub I know of is GitLab, which is very similar. I use GitHub for all my stuff though, and have only used GitLab occasionally.

As a general rule, you should not put personal documents inside software folders. Atom in particular assumes that everything inside one of its folders belongs to it.

For hygiene purposes, you should keep all of your personal documents together and away from both software and configuration files. Windows includes a number of folders for this by default, including My Documents and Desktop. In the event that your entire operating system goes down (which is just a matter of years for any machine running Windows), you are most likely to be able to recover your files if they are in a separate drive (either as a partition on your physical hard drive, or on a completely separate storage medium) from the operating system. When you inevitably move to a new computer, having a separate storage area for your personal documents allows for the easiest retrieval and transfer to a new machine.