Linux/Fedora/Ubuntu or yet-another-Mac-app?

Please, We need Atom for Fedora Linux !

Yeah, that’s pretty disappointing that 1) it’s not actually open source, and 2) the first release is for Mac.

Call me when it’s about things I care about…

GIven sublime and text-mate, not to speak of RubyMine, WebStorm and others, I see no newer/glittery features here, the only way to make it a killer is to make it FOSS with pay modules or boost github sales with it as a plus. Don’t really see the strategy here… that, besides the fact of starting such a development for Mac only, makes me wonder even more. I appreciate the invite, but I don’t understand where the differentiation is (meaning, -why bother-).

Let’s not forget none of the github.com web application is open source (to my knowledge). GitHub has built their fortune with closed source software catered to open source developers.

Anyway, SublimeText is awesome and runs on Linux. It is closed source too. I don’t really care THAT much. It is the only application for Linux besides Minecraft that I’ve actually paid for, and would do it again.

Although I (obviously) would prefer an open source editor, I guess you can’t blame people for wanting some money for years of work, can you?

And since a text editor is no security-related application I also don’t see the harm - sure, making atom (or parts of it) open source always helps community-based work to flourish, but since the package system and customisability seems to be quite heavily integrated into the fundamentals of atom I think we will see lots of work from the community even if atom stays closed source.

So for the end user, I guess making it closed source is pretty okay - if this is a business model that still works well is a totally different question, but a majority of applications are still simply sold the traditional way, so I can’t see how this business model is “obsolete”?

I personally hope they will price atom rather aggressively (I have always felt $70 for sublime was just too much for a text editor), but other than that I see no issue in paying for a good piece of software that make my day-to-day work more comfortable.