Linter Flake8 won't work on my windows 10 computer

So I downloaded the linter-flake 8 in atom and I get this error: [Linter\ Error running Flake 8 see console for more info] and then when I go to to console I get this message C:\Users\sonny.atom\packages\linter\dist\index.js:1 [Linter] Error running Flake8 Error: Failed to spawn command flake8. Make sure flake8 is installed and on your PATH
at C:\Users\so.atom\packages\linter-flake8\node_modules\atom-linter\lib\helpers.js:130:24
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:89:5)

I’ve uninstalled and re-installed and I can’t figure out what I’ve done wrong, any help is appreciated.

1 Like

It looks like you installed linter-flake8, but not flake8 itself

Hi, Idleburg thank you for replying,

Can you explain a little more in detail what you mean by not installing flake8 itself, as I’ve gone to PowerShell and typed in pip install flake8, and have installed it as well from the atom environment?

I’ll try to provide the most context possible with some screenshots for my issue and hopefully, you will be able to relieve me of these issues.

Whenever I try to type in atom a red error banner that says: [Linter] Error running Flake8, see console for more info.

And then when I open console I get this message

If it makes any difference I haven’t typed anything into the settings in the atom environment where you go to download ‘Linter Flake8’.

Thank you once again for your help!

Also, I’ve executed the ‘pip install flake8’ command in PowerShell but when I type in ‘where.exe flake8’ it says INFO: Could not find files for the given pattern(s) So I’m not able to find the executable path, not sure what I’m missing

It wasn’t clear from your initial post.

I guess you need to sort out your installation trouble first (Google, SuperUser etc.), it looks to me like your problem isn’t related to Atom. Once you have setup flake8 and it’s running in PowerShell, but you still have trouble with Atom – please come back and ask.

PS: Shouldn’t you use pip3 install flake8 these days? Python 2 has reached EOL early last year.

Alright my good sir idleberg, I can’t seem to get past the installation trouble despite my hours of scouring the web and trying the same process over and over again. I’ve included a screenshot of my powershell to give some context, I feel like I’m missing something obvious so if there is an obvious blind spot to point out feel free, thanks again.

Nevermind idleburg, I got it working thanks for extending the helping hand peace and much love to you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like