Line Breaks suddenly are away

Hi,
in some php files the line breaks are suddenly away. Instead there are spaces. Additionally the spaces are sometimes weird, because when i want to count the spaces the cursor is not jumping constantly, but sometimes with normal space place, sometimes with less space then with more space.

I searched and found some tips for converting CRLF or LF line endings. But that has no effect.

Does anbody know whats going on?

Thanks
Johannes

Hi Johannes.

Your description sounds like an indent occurrence. But I confess - I do not know PHP and know Atom only slightly. Someone else will have to step forward for helping.

Some ideas to start with in thee mean time:

1. Do you have the “invisibles” (\n \r \t) set to be visible? These are found in the configuration of Atom.

2. Could you please post a screen capture, someone might be able to give a hint or two. The “invisibles” should be set to be visible.

3. The same code you show in the picture - paste in the post also. Start the code block with…

• Back quotes x 3 & code type
  • Next lines, the exact code
  • Last line end with back quotes x 3

```php
{this is the code}

```

Hope you find a solution.

Mind uploading one of these files so that I can take a look at it?

Hi, here is a screenshot from one of the files. If i copy the content and import it it in dreamweaver, everything is okay and the line-breaks are back.

And here is the code:

<?php
/**
 * Post rendering content ACF
 * @package understrap
 */
?>
     <?php if( get_sub_field('abstand') == 'Abstand klein' ): ?>

<div class="container section-low">
      	<div class="row">
      		<div class="col-xs-12 col-sm-12 col-md-12 col-lg-12 col-xl-12">
            <?php the_sub_field('content-editor'); ?>
      		</div>
      	</div>
      </div>

<?php endif; ?>

<?php if( get_sub_field('abstand') == 'Abstand groß' ): ?>

<div class="container section">
      	<div class="row">
      		<div class="col-xs-12 col-sm-12 col-md-12 col-lg-12 col-xl-12">
            <?php the_sub_field('content-editor'); ?>
      		</div>
      	</div>
      </div>

<?php endif; ?>

You see, the code i pasted has its line-breaks. 

@danPadric
I don't know how to set the invisibles visible. Where do i have to put the code? In config-json? And how exactly. 

Thank you very much
Johannes

What’s probably happening is that your PHP file is using “Mac” line endings (\r only). As the last OS that used those line endings was discontinued 15+ years ago, Atom has decided to stop interpreting them as line endings in Atom 1.19. I’m surprised though that converting to CRLF/LF isn’t working for you. Have you tried opening the Command Palette and choosing either Line Ending Selector: Convert to LF or Line Ending Selector: Convert to CRLF?

I don’t need or care about the code. I would like to look at the file itself.

http://www.smehsigns.at/download/home-content_1-column.php Here is a download link to the php-file. Direct Upload is forbidden.

Yes, if i open the Command Palette and choose one or the other noihing happens, except a change in the footer of atom to show “LF” or “CRLF”.

A PHP file after it has been served by the server is processed HTML and doesn’t tell me anything. If there is a company policy preventing you from uploading the file, then that’s something I can’t help you with.

Sorry, that was stupid of course. I am not allowed to upload a php file within this editor. Maybe because I am a new member.

I uploaded it again on my server in a zip file. Here

Okay, here’s what I see in Notepad++. Check the status bar at the bottom. It says Macintosh (CR), which indicates that the line endings are just \r, not \n or \r\n. I don’t know why Atom doesn’t know how to switch out of CR, but you can do that in N++ by right clicking on the line ending name and selecting a different one.

After that, this is what I have in Atom:

I have tried searching in Atom for \r by itself, but it doesn’t seem to recognize the line endings at all, so this might require an external program to fix.

Thanks. That’s weird. The setting of line-endings in atom changes only when you copy the (broken) code and replace the code with itself. After that it looks okay. And also if i recheck it with Notepad++, the line endings changes to CRLF.

Thanks for helping
Johannes

Yeah. We’re dealing with the fallout of a decades-old disagreement between the first personal computer engineers about how to represent line ending characters.