Ligature rendering seems to only partially work

Hi,

I’m trying to get ligature to work in Atom, using the Haskliq font. I’m using Atom 1.3.2 and have this in my styles.less:

atom-text-editor {
  text-rendering: optimizeLegibility;
}

When I view a Haskell file, I see the ligature for “->”, but for “<-”, sometimes I get ligature and sometimes just ‘<’ and ‘-’. When I view C++, I can’t find any ligature.

When I switch to the Monoid font, I can see some ligatures in C++ but Haskell is still spotty.

How do ligatures work under the hood in Atom? How is it decided whether a sequence of characters should be rendered as a particular ligature? Does it depend only on the font? Does Atom decide? Can plugins interfere?

I notice that the same code snippet pasted into a .txt file and into a .hs file get different ligature treatment. The .txt ironically gets better treatment. I got suspicious and did some package investigation.

It turned out that if I turn off haskell-grammar, I get better, apparently normal, ligature. So, it seems to suggest that packages/plugins can affect/interfere with ligature.

I suppose the next question is how and how to prevent unwanted interference.

See atom/atom#9372 (comment)

I think it has to do with how the grammar tokenizes the input. I remember there were changes to the language-javascript package specifically to improve ligature rendering; e.g.

haskell-grammar might need the same