Last comment in thread is not automatically marked as read

I use g h to go to the list of latest threads. I use j to navigate to a thread that has more than one unread comment. (That thread will be in black rather than grey to indicate that it’s got unread comments.)

I hit Return on that thread, which teleports me to the first unread comment in that thread. Good. I use j to read all comments. After the last comment, I keep hitting j to navigate past the suggested articles, to the bottom-most article on the page. (I do that just to be really sure that the last comment is marked as read.)

Now I hit g h to go back to the list of latest threads.

But that thread is still marked as unread! When I open it, I get teleported to the last comment in the thread.

If I then g h once more, then the thread is marked as read on the list of latest threads.

Can you reproduce it?

• I believe it doesn’t matter whether I use g h to go to the list of latest threads, or use another method.
  • I’ve tested that it doesn’t matter whether I use j to select a thread with unread comments, or I just click on it.
  • I’m unsure about the j scrolling, though. I should have tested the space bar, the cursor keys, the page down key, and the two-finger swipe to scroll on my Mac. But I haven’t. I guess I really like j

Update: After saving the above text, I thought I could try other methods to scroll, so I went through and searched for some threads with more than one unread comment. But I couldn’t find any. So I think I will have to wait for some content to arrive on the site :slight_smile: I may not be able to work on this for the next two weeks, though.