Large amount of disk space for undeleted old versions

is there a reason that all old versions are being saved? My Atom folder is over 7Gb and has 10+ old versions stored. Anyone else having this issue?

I just looked and my .atom dir has what appears to be the same old stuff.

I am only up to 1.6 gig but it is climbing.

Hello.

I have installed Atom V1.21.0 over V1.20.0 (no uninstall).
There is not a trace of the V1.20 in my application directory.
This is on a Windows7 machine.

Previously I noticed the same occurrence (before V1.19.6) and simply deleted the β€œold” versions.
Example: deleting ..atom\app-1.19.4 directory.

Which versions are you guys running now?
Which OS?

Regards.

UPDATE
I failed to mention … I do not have Atom updating its version automatically. The install file provided on Github is installed manually. What is the situation in your case?

Linux(Debian 8) so no auto update for me, bucko :slight_smile:

atom 1.22.0b0 - I have used the official Debian package install for the last dozen (General and beta combined) releases.

I’m guessing you’re on Windows @interbiznw? If so, this is a duplicate of Increasing size of .../Users/.../Local/atom due to old versions.

If you confirm you’re on Windows, we’ll close this in favor of that post.

@rsese - IMHO if @bsussman is running on Debian and has a complaint,
then there is potentially an issue wider than the topic you are linking to.

@bsussman: Howdy partner,

That caused my apprentice to giggle.
He regularly reminds me I was born *BC … Before Computers.

You are a seasoned (read: experienced) coder - right? You know that the Atom Insiders become interested when a pattern emerges. From there my questions.

There is not yet enough information to do troubleshooting or even establish if there is a problem. For example - where do you see the 1.6GB?

I had a problem with old data being kept in β€œapp-x.xx.x” folders (where x represent version number) on my Windows7 machine. This is not the case anymore. I assume the issue was resolved for Windows.

On my Windows7 machine the regular Atom V1.21 installation is 580MB - excluding packages. Application data about 550MB, including packages.

The portable V1.22 Beta takes 440MB. Application data about 500MB.

@bsussman - Not being on a Windows machine is an important puzzle piece. Maybe it is even an indicator of some unrelated issue. Do you have other pieces of info that may be helpful in seeing a pattern?

@interbiznw - What information can you contribute?

* Footprint of vsCode V1.17.1: 200MB (+ 46MB)

…old enough to know what a Mod33 Teletype sounds like doing a backup (paper tape, uphill both ways). AND old enough to know that emacs is a hissing and an abomination but ed is the one true editor because more than one line is excessive.

Seriously though, noting and explaining patterns is the only interesting thing in the universe. Whether tears in the rain or the wrinkles in the eggshells.

Looking at your numbers, maybe 1.6G is not excessive. I have the current general and current beta installed. but the actual software is not in ~/.atom is it?

I do have 167 packages installed but I guess that is not really that many - at lease 4000 of them are core, right?

Maybe this snip of commandline io will help - I can simply pack up the directory if you like but this has to be simple - some decision to retain or some accidental omission of a delete.

[07:04] ~/.atom$-->  du -sh
1.6G	.
[07:04] ~/.atom$-->  cd .apm
[07:04] ~/.atom/.apm$-->  du  -sh
441M	.
[07:04] ~/.atom/.apm$-->  cd ..
[07:04] ~/.atom$-->  du -sh *
9.8M	blob-store
41M	compile-cache
8.0K	config.cson
4.0K	github.cson
4.0K	init.coffee
4.0K	keymap.cson
0	nohup.out
915M	packages
4.0K	projects.cson
216K	recovery
4.0K	snippets.cson
4.0K	split-diff
8.0K	storage
8.0K	styles.less
4.0K	terminal-commands.json
[07:04] ~/.atom$-->  tree -L 1 .apm/nuclide
.apm/nuclide
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.220.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.221.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.222.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.223.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.226.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.228.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.229.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.230.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.231.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.232.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.241.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.242.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.243.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.244.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.245.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.247.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.249.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.250.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.252.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.254.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.255.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.256.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.257.0
β”œβ”€β”€ 0.258.0
└── 0.259.0

25 directories, 0 files
[07:05] ~/.atom$--> 

I chose nuclide as typical. Obviously there is a whole forestful of similar trees.

I am on windows and apparently the other night atom updated to 1.21.1 and all the extra folders disappeared. Now my Atom folder is only 992Mb

…so yours is not an issue.
Atom is heavy on the resources though.

My thanks for the information
…and the memories.

So all those old versions of packages still there is correct?

:blush: …more haste less speed - sorry

You are right in questioning this!
Your concerns does not match the original topic.
I am of the opinion that it warrants a topic of its own.
Please consider doing so. Thank you.

here it is: https://goo.gl/qZcnjs

Yep totally agree with you @danPadric if there was a common issue across platforms :+1: But it looks like @interbiznw was running into the Windows specific issue that I linked to in the other post that’s been fixed for most people (not all it looks like though) in 1.21.