Issues, questions & feedback about sass-autocompile

Hello together!

Please post issues on GitHub.

For everything else about sass-autocompile package you can use this thread.

Isn’t github repo better for that?

Well, you are right! I haven’t used Github for issues yet, so I will change that today!

Hello, would just like to start by saying that this package is awesome! I was just wondering if there was any way to compile the main scss file when saving a partial/included file.

For example, I want to have each page’s CSS in its own scss file then include them into a main/master scss file that compiles out to css, when I save these page files I want the master to compile automatically without having to save two separate files every time I want it to compile new code.

Thanks!

Have a look at the main parameter. With that parameter you reference a parent file in each child file.

I love your plugin and it works well on my home macbook.

On my work macbook i get to following error when i want it to compile.

Command failed: node-sass --output-style compressed --indent-type tab --indent-width 4 --precision 5 “/Users/kevin/Development/Projects/Meteor-apps/ictvacature/admin/sass/style.scss” “/Users/kevin/Development/Projects/Meteor-apps/ictvacature/admin/sass/style.min.css”
/Users/kevin/.nvm/versions/node/v6.3.0/lib/node_modules/node-sass/lib/index.js:15
throw new Error(errors.missingBinary());
^
Error: Missing binding /Users/kevin/.nvm/versions/node/v6.3.0/lib/node_modules/node-sass/vendor/darwin-x64-11/binding.node
Node Sass could not find a binding for your current environment: OS X 64-bit with Node 0.10.x
Found bindings for the following environments:

• OS X 64-bit with Node.js 6.x
    This usually happens because your environment has changed since running npm install.
    Run npm rebuild node-sass to build the binding for your current environment.
    at Object. (/Users/kevin/.nvm/versions/node/v6.3.0/lib/node_modules/node-sass/lib/index.js:15:11)
    at Module._compile (module.js:456:26)
    at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:474:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)
    at Module.require (module.js:364:17)
    at require (module.js:380:17)
    at Object. (/Users/kevin/.nvm/versions/node/v6.3.0/lib/node_modules/node-sass/bin/node-sass:11:10)
    at Module._compile (module.js:456:26)
    at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:474:10)

What am i doing wrong and how can i get it to work?

Well, I think there is something wrong with your node.js or node-sass installation. Try to remove every installation of node.js and reinstall it.

Is there a way to compile to a specific location?

I would like to keep all my scss files in a scss folder but my css files in a seperate one.

Well, this compilation setting is not supported. Sorry!

But when you save a file, you can store the result to another directory.

assets/
    css/
    scss/style.scss

When you put this text as first line in assets/scss/style.scss and save it, it’s compiled to assets/css/style.css.

// compileCompressed: ../css/$1.css

Does this help you?

I cannot install the package. I got the message - http://joxi.ru/v29NBq5h3d6EkA

That error is concerning autocomplete-sass. This thread is about the package sass-autocompile.

Man… I know this is going to seem like a real newbee question. So I apologize out the gate. But I’m hoping someone can give me a straight answer so I can get this sass-autocompiler working.

So I installed sass-autocompile on my server per the requirements. Great. Now how do I edit a SASS file? I have 2 text editors available to me on my server. Do I use those and just hit CTRL+SHIFT+C to compile? That doesn’t work.

Or am I supposed to be using some specific text editor?

Or does this not work doing it web based in one of the text editors on my server?

Sincerely,
Confused

:slight_smile:

sass-autocompile isn’t going to work unless you have Atom open. Why do you feel like you have to use an editor that isn’t Atom?

Hey dtw1972! I think you are talking about node-sass and not my package? My package is for Atom editor. When you use this editor you can use my packge sass-autocompile.

When you want to use my package then you have to install nodejs and node-sass. After that you can install my package in Atom and then use it via shortcut etc.

Good to know. So I said this to the support staff at my hosting company:

…I wonder if another option might be https://atom.io/packages/sass-autocompile (It was recommended by a SASS programmer.) It’s a self contained SASS compiler, and if it works as advertised, would let me save SASS files. It sounds a lot simpler than the route you’re wanting to go. (Reformatting my server so we can run the latest version of Ruby.)

And this is what they said back:

Dan, This could work, however we wouldn’t be familiar with this particular item.
I have went ahead and installed it, so you can certainly test to see if it meets your needs. Regards, Stephen A., ServInt MST

So my question is… now what? Is the Atom editor something they would need to install (if they didn’t already)? Is it web based? I was just wanting a web based SASS editor to run on my server. But I’m open to something else if it’s not web based. (If it is, how do I access it.)

Sincerely,
A newbe

sass-autocompile isn’t self-contained. Aside from being an Atom package, it depends on node-sass, which depends on Node.

Atom is a desktop application. You can access servers remotely, but it’s not web-based. I believe your next step should be to look through the list of node-sass integrations and see if there’s something that’s compatible with your workflow or server type. You probably need to ask your support staff to install Node on your server, and you might be able to use the Grunt or Gulp integrations to check for when files get updated and compile them automatically.

Thanks, DamnedScholar! :wink: