Is atom dead?

I keep noticing the change log is becoming much smaller as time goes by.
I know that a json rpc rust based replacement is being built.

Are we ever going we see a major release of Atom?

The Microsoft intervention

I find your claim spurious. Atom does not need to hit 2.0.0 any time soon in order to not be dead. It just needs to have an active community and dev team, which it has.

It has all these i agree.
But i keep noticing fewer beta releases between stable ones & also smaller change logs as i mentioned.

I always keep coming back to Atom but lately i feel that it has fallen behind the competition.

I had the same feeling / question a few days ago.

Where can we see the download / install rate for Atom?

My feeling that Atom was dying was more spurred by slow / no responses to questions in the discussion area and fewer and fewer new package anouncements, etc. Anecdotally, several of my developer friends that were using Atom have switched to another opensource editor built on web tech that I will not name.

Sadly, I too have switched. (but keep coming back after every release to see whats new)

For the record, and as you can probably tell from my recently renewed activity here, I don’t think Atom is dead.

Not dead for me at least. It has most of what I need. It’s fast enough, even on ginormous repos and when having several different directories open in separate Atom instances at once. I like that I can just open a directory from the comand line, even one that Atom has never seen before, and it quickly gives me browsing and editing. Plus it has some unique packages that I don’t think other editors have. I’m also excited about checking out atom-ide and see if it maybe improves autocomplete, goto ref/method/class and is faster than using node-inspector for debugging my node apps.

Atom could be better. I aim to spend more time over the summer doing just that. Of course my 3w vacation is on it’s final day, but now that I have my Atom development env setup and fully working with React 16, it’s off to the races time! Thanks @steelbrain for helping me out with that

Here is what I think I can contribute over the next 3-6 months:

• git-branch-compare; I still open IntelliJ 14 on my work laptop for this, I’ll pitch the design for git-branch-compare on a separate thread.
  • publish package. I have an unpublished package I use to publish my growing number of NPM packages and it also works with apm publish if it sees it’s an Atom package you have open in the editor. It updates and commits the change log for me and allows me to select which commits to feature and leave a short message. I haven’t published it because I know I’ll get flooded with requests to change the formatting of the change log generated.
  • find a bug and fix it. I just saw one when I generated a package using the generator in 1.27.0. Toggle doesn’t make the scaffold added dialog hide like intended. I have not researched or root caused it yet - may already be solved. The goal is to help someone else out by contributing to their project.

Anyway, I think how dead Atom is comes down to how much everyone is still willing to contribute to it. But I’m kinda optimistic, naive and usually the last one off the ship :slight_smile:

Don’t place too much responsibility on people like me who hang out here on our free time.

Thank you, @damnedscholar, and all the others who give up your feetime, so that I and others can increasingly benefit from such an amazing product, which was built by, and given to us by, the entire community of free-time-giver-uppers, for the betterment of the world :slight_smile:
Thank you. I very much appreciate what you do!

I am all in on Atom and have created multiple packages for Atom, but I was thinking the same thing a little while ago when I was fixing bugs on APM and got told that they don’t want any new features added to APM

atom dead? Preposterous. Sounds like the problem is that it is becoming more stable. How is that a problem? What - do we need chrome tail fins and a bicycle rack? Just sayin…

IMO, semantic versioning has been distorted by projects that insist on 0.xxxxxx being a sensible version. I come from an (old) world where 0.ANYTHING was preproduction (beta at best). And 1.whatever was the first production release. And after that, you really had to have the notion of true feature addition to advance to 1.whatever+. And 2.whatever was different enough to cause serious planning.

atom is (just*) an IDE/editor. What development profile does it need to not be dead? Working? Check. Has an issues list that is managed? Check. A community of users ranging from heads down hardcore to light learners? Check.

One might argue that plugins should not really be chained to the core (a quibble - I don’t really feel strongly).

*BTW, that word ‘just’ is meant in a massive counter-understatement-cute way. atom is the first IDS I have used that works for me. Ever. Second best for me has been 5 terminals and a browser. And yes, I am on the vi(m) side of the debate WRT any ‘editor’ that might begin with an ‘e’ and have 4 letters.

I do have deep, semi-obsolete technical skills. I wish I had the chops to code for the atom project. every day my debt to the project grows.

I’ve been using Atom for quite some time. But recently I noticed that many packages I installed, some with very high download count, are no longer maintained for years. Looks like it’s time to switch to another editor :frowning:

Or just reevaluate the packages you use? It’s quite possible many have been forked and replaced.

I think this is a problem that VSCode and Atom have. Many developers switch between them when getting new jobs or just realizing one has some feature that they want. Since almost all packages are community created the package creator will lose interest once they switch editors or find a job that doesn’t require using the editor every day. It can take a bit of searching but the community is usually quick to pick up the slack.

I do feel like “last updated” should be one of the metrics used to rank the packages in Atom settings. Just using download count can make an abandoned package stay on top for quite a while.

Microsoft is reportedly talking about buying GitHub, a platform for software developers last valued at $2 billion

Here’s the reason IMHO. If micro$oft really buy Github - there’s no reason to invest in Atom anymore.

I will never use VS code, keep it up Atom!

I don’t care for VS Code either. If Atom dies I’ll either buy a license to a jetBrains IDE or switch to vim.

I think now its finally decided and MS is buying GitHub…
I am not a fan of that, but have switched to VSCode a while back. I know many of you have invested a lot of time and effort into Atom, but I think sadly it is going to stagnate and die.

VSCode is pretty cool though (better performance than WebStorm and… Atom)

Oooh - MS…

I am not optimistic about an atomic future.

And I am afraid a fork of atom wouldn’t live on because projects like it are expensive - I bet github support has not been insignificant.

Vim is my 2nd choice editor. I am not looking forward to going back to it. Though zsh helps a little :slight_smile:

What many of you don’t notice is that you’ve choosen Atom because you found it more productive/powerful/whatever in it’s current condition.

The MS adquisition doesn’t make Atom worst (Well, now Atom is owned by the Windows, IE, and Edge-newIE creators). This is the only thing that matters :slight_smile:

I really hope Atom survives.

I’m hoping for some kind of official announcement to set the record straight for better or for worse.