InvalidStateError when disabling default key binding

Based on this thread (Disable default keybindings), I have disabled some of the default key bindings, e.g. for the cmd-< shortcut (cycle between windows in OS X).

'.workspace .editor:not(.mini)':
  'cmd-<': ''

This has worked fine so far.

Now starting with v0.120.0, whenever I press this key combination, the error console pops up and shows the following message:

Uncaught InvalidStateError: An attempt was made to use an object that is not, or is no longer, usable. 

/opt/homebrew-cask/Caskroom/atom/latest/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/node_modules/atom-keymap/lib/keymap-manager.js:400

This is reproducable with other key combindations as well, e.g.

'.editor':
  'cmd-l': ''

Pressing cmd-l now triggers that error as well.

I’m pretty sure this was working with v0.119.0 without any errors.

Disable default keybindings

Rather than using an empty string, unset! is the correct way of disabling a key combination.

I was able to reproduce; something changed in the keymap package. Haven’t bothered checking the specifics, but it’s related to the command event not being initialized properly.

All this being said, I just tested replacing the empty string with a null value and that seems to work as expected. Give it a try.

Edit: or just do as @leedohm suggests :smile:

Excellent - thanks! This worked:

'.workspace .editor:not(.mini), .workspace':
  'cmd-<': 'unset!'

I’ll add this to the other thread as well.

Maybe a reference to using unset! or native! should be added to the auto-generated keymap file in the comment blurb at the top of the file.

Or even better a reference to this help page, since it explains these options in more detail.