Indent Slow

Hi,

When I do the indentation using command+] on a file with just 200 lines, it will require 1s delay to finish the indentation. And if the file has near thousand lins, it becomes very very slow to indent and sometimes unresponsible.

I am just wondering whether this unconvenient and limitation can be solved in the future whether it is very hard and complicated to improve Atom’s performance.

I really really like Atom. If its performance can be closed to vscode, this editor will reach another milestone.

Can you share the version of Atom you’re running (atom -v) and what operating system you’re using?

Also, it looks like there’s an open issue about this behavior:

When you say:

And if the file has near thousand lins, it becomes very very slow to indent and sometimes unresponsible.

Can you confirm how long Atom becomes unresponsive? Also, would you be able to share the file that shows this behavior? The issue above links to a gist with a ~1000 line file and when I try to indent, Atom doesn’t hang for me.

Hi. Thank you for your reply.

Atom Version:
Atom : 1.17.2
Electron: 1.3.15
Chrome : 52.0.2743.82
Node : 6.5.0

My opened file has 2000 lines and when I typed command+], the response time is about 1s. And this is not file specific. I tested many times using different files that have about 2000 lines and the delay always exists.

Oh by the way, this delay is more prominent if the length of each line gets longer. The example in the gist you gave me has very short lines so the delay is very unobvious.

My opened file has 2000 lines and when I typed command+], the response time is about 1s. And this is not file specific. I tested many times using different files that have about 2000 lines and the delay always exists.

Thanks for clarifying, that description matches the issue report.

this delay is more prominent if the length of each line gets longer.

Thanks for the extra details, I see this too - if I try a super long line (e.g. the lorem snippet per line), with ~2000 lines, the delay is more noticeable.

Yup. This is so annoying. And I don’t know whether Atom can improve its performance to catch up with VScode. I tried this in VScode, it handled very well without any delay, which is amzing.