Impossible to find platformio as a package in ATOM

Hello there… I’m trying this time to install Platformio with ATOM.

But I can’t find the platformio package of platformio.

ps: this is the page that is opened when I click on “Open Installer”.

Hello.

This is how its suppose to look:

In your case not even the featured packages are shown.

• How are you connected to the web?
  • Which version of Windows?
  • Any anti-virus or firewall blocking communications?
  • What type Atom installation did you make?

BR

Hi,

yes I’m connected to the web

the version of Windows is Windows 10 Pro without anti-virus that can block communications.

However, I’m on my corporate laptop. Thus, perhaps there is a firewall which can block communication. Do you know how to identify and get rid of this firewall ? (or just go behind it)

I’ve seen that people suggest on other forums to write “apm config set strict-ssl false” But I don’t even know where can I write it…

I followed the instructions there : http://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/ide/atom.html#ide-atom

All desktop operating systems, even Windows, come with a command line where you can issue text-based instructions to the operating system. This is an important part of knowing how to use your computer, especially if you’re doing software development where many of the tools (such as NPM and APM) still make use of the control and automation capability that the command line gives you.

Hi thank you for your help, but I have another question… Is there another way to reload packages in Atom without unsecuring my connections to the servers of Atom ?

Is it reversible if I try the command given there : I'm getting an error about a "self-signed certificate". What do I do? ?
In the case it is reversible… How can I re-secure my connections to the servers of Atom ?

best regards,

JR

Yeah. You can connect to the Internet without your firewall, if you want. If you’re on a laptop, take it to a coffee shop. It’s not something that you need to worry about, though. Are you working for a large developer that requires operational secrecy and is vulnerable to being hacked? If not, then it is very unlikely that anyone is going to lurk around to steal your Atom package information.

Is it reversible if I try the command given there

Yes. Take a look at the command. You are setting a configuration to false. What’s the opposite of false?

Hi you seem to be a little bit upset… Yes I had courses of development but I’m not the best for sure.

I’m just looking for help, and I wanna make sure that what I do is safe for my computer.

Of course the answer is true.

Hi JR.

It is indeed frustrating! I have no experience with the trouble you have - but maybe this little chat is still helpful.

I would imagine it would have been best to have the company’s IT guy involved on all of this. You may find that other (not Atom) services are blocked too. Then you are really stuck.

If I were in your shoes, I would prepare an installation on a computer that is under my full control with a private internet service. The installation of packages to Atom is transferable - as far as I know.

Would this work-around be an option for you?

Regards.

I’m not upset. I’m showing you the questions that you need to ask, and in certain cases I’m not giving you the answer because you already had it and just hadn’t asked the question correctly.

I wanna make sure that what I do is safe for my computer.

Okay, so what’s going on here? The package manager APM is making a direct request to the Atom servers to get a list of packages. APM is built on NPM (Node Package Manager), which has some security rules in place to make sure that, when a request comes in, it has gone directly from the computer of the user (you) to the server without being intercepted by a hacker. This is important because NPM is used in some major businesses and educational institutions where a hacker who inserted malicious code into the system could cause substantial damage. NPM is a critical part of a lot of modern web software because it allows for easy organizing and updating of dependencies, so it frequently pulls in many small libraries and there’s a risk of bad code getting in there.

APM, by contrast, is used for larger Atom packages and only pulls in new packages when you install or update one. As an individual user, it would be hard to predict what packages from APM or NPM you are actually going to try to use and it would take a lot of effort to monitor and mess with the interaction. Unless you work for a big Internet company, the chance of a hacker inserting bad code into packages you download is very, very tiny and you accept more risk every time you get into a car.

So what does the command apm config set do? Well, since we know that APM is built on NPM, we can rely on NPM’s documentation, but we can also observe what it does on the computer. apm config set creates a file called .apmrc in the .atom/ folder with the variable that has been set.

Now, .apmrc is a dotfile-style config file as is commonly used on Unix-based machines. APM opens and reads .apmrc every time it runs, so changing the behavior of APM requires only that you change the instructions in that file. You can use apm config set again, or you can edit it yourself.

Thank you for your accuraccy.

In deed it was due to the protection of the network of the company I work for.

I’ve installed platformIO-ide on a laptop which is outside of the network of the company, and It works perfectly.