IDE for electron

I’m new to electron and am wondering if there is an IDE that supports it. I can edit the files in, say, Netbeans of course. But I don’t seem to be able to run/debug from the IDE, nor does it like running my app in Chrome (which Netbeans uses for rendering and debugging).

Any advice?
Thanks
Eric

VS Code is built on Electron. You could try that out. Otherwise, you might have to write your own add-on to allow Electron debugging.

VSCode supports debugging the main Electron process out of the box, but you’ll need the Chrome debugger extension to debug the renderer process, it’s covered in this blog post (you may need to tweak some of the settings to work with the current release of VSCode).

This may be a little necro, but I’d be interested in a more extended conversation regarding IDEs and electron? I’ve been using VSCode myself, and it’s ok, but I have a lot of issues with it, mostly revolving around its inability to understand my code and provide any helpful intellisense :). I haven’t even been able to find a discussion forum for Visual Code specifically, either, which somehow heightens my sense of frustration ;). I also wish I could auto-run unit tests on a watch with a monitor (built into the IDE), preferably with a status bar pass/fail count display as I’m working on my code base.

I’d also be curious to know what people find most effective for doc generation, and if anyone has wired up their environment to auto-gen docs on their libs and then serve those docs within their IDE? (because that would be slick). I guess I’ve just been thinking about tooling recently ;). Hopefully there are some people here who have been thinking about the same sorts of things.

I Googled for “Visual Studio discussion” and found this one third from the top.

I also wish I could auto-run unit tests on a watch with a monitor (built into the IDE), preferably with a status bar pass/fail count display as I’m working on my code base.

This shouldn’t be an Electron-specific issue. Your app should be contained within the renderer process with the exception of very specific things that get sent out to the main process like error messages or native GUI API calls. Any IDE that can auto-run unit tests on a Node app will work for your purposes (I don’t know what those are, but only needing your IDE to support Node presumably increases your chances of finding something).

Actually, that’s Visual Studio, not Visual Studio Code (confusing, I know). They are totally different IDEs. Plenty of discussion forums for Visual Studio.

I tried a node tester for VSCode, but it didn’t really work. Was hoping there would be people who had specific experience in this area who wanted to share the combinations they found that did work :). I’m just trying to develop some best practices as it were, and feeling lonely in my little bubble as I do so. I was hoping there were some other people working with larger electron-based projects here who wanted to share what setups and practices they use.