I want to use Atom as a note taker with simple text formatting - is this possibl? Any hints on how?

I’m not a programmer, but I’m not totally unfamiliar with code. Still, the customisability of Atom appeals to me, so I’m hoping to use it in another way: for taking and organising notes. Kind of like a radically simplified OneNote (no embedded images etc), but with some basic text formatting (size, bold, italic, etc).

markdown-preview doesn’t quite fit the bill at first glance because it requires two windows to be open - I want something simple, hopefully even with the customary keyboard shortcuts for italic/bold/underline.

I haven’t found any evidence of anyone online using Atom like this, but should it theoretically be possible? How? Could anyone recommend any packages?

Thanks!

Because of how Atom displays code, having differently-sized lines is out of the question without a substantial package project (it’s doable, but would take work). Anything else that you can dictate through CSS can be implemented in a syntax theme, however that only works if the person who designed the language package (one of language-gfm or language-markdown, in this case) decided to make a difference between, for example, italics tags and bold tags.

Hello.

:thinking: {Have I seen this question somewhere before?}

From your description it seems more as if you need a word processor. Writing text in Markdown does give formatting but in ‘coding mode’ it is not as you would want it.

Personally I prefer using a spreadsheet for notes. I like having control on the width of the columns to put out different levels. But then much of what I need also have some mathematical equations between.

More so… I use colouring of text and cells to highlight priorities and importance; going beyond simple text formatting. Some text manipulation and calculation can be achieved via formulas which I use regularly.

Currently I use LibreOffice on Windows for this purpose. A sample unrelated to your question bit to highlight my thoughts: