I need a small guide of how build an autocomplete package

Hi!!..I wish build an autocomplete plugin, I know how generate the suggestions and use the SelectListView but I’ve a few doubts about how select the current text under the cursos…basically and looking the autocomplete-plus package, seems than I only can get a character every time and need track every character and build the words checking the mouse position the tracking word and the letter under the coursor…that is good? or there is a more high level approach

basically…I think in this approach:

get the letter under the coursor and get the cursor position
when a new letter is typed, check the cursor position and try detect if the new letter is part of the same word (this is the tricky part)

if is a word, then compare it with other words and generate a suggestion (this is not a problem)

populate the SelectListView…

my biggest doubts are generated about how can I get the text, even I think than I can change an existing package, but I’m not totally sure about how get the text under the cursor…

any suggerence and help will be appreciate!!..thanks for reading

Have you seen the tutorial on the autocomplete-plus repository?

yes…but I had performances issues using it, because my autocomplete suggestion needs connect to an external services, similar issue has joefitzgerald implementing this for go language https://github.com/saschagehlich/autocomplete-plus/issues/36..just now he is doing a small fix, but I think than all these fixs add overhead and complicate the code where using a reactive lib like baconjs would be a good solution…

It’s more about personal interest of try implement this using baconjs, that is the reason why I wish implement this from zero…unfortunately I need check more the atom api (I did a small test with codemirror and works but atom api is different) and my big doubts are related in the word capture…

thanks