I can't seem to install Atom on Windows 7 Professional x64

As the title states, I do not seem to be able to install Atom. It was installed previously, but I uninstalled it because it would use a lot of system resources (particularly hard disk, but I digress). After uninstalling, I made sure to remove the atom directory in %APPDATA%\Local\ and %APPDATA%\Roaming, and I also made sure to remove Atom from the system path.

Upon trying to reinstall though, I end up with this error message:

And when I go to the log file, here is what it says.

Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install .
Program: Starting install, writing to C:\Users\derik.taylor\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
CheckForUpdateImpl: Failed to load local releases, starting from scratch: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\derik.taylor\AppData\Local\atom\packages\RELEASES'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at Squirrel.Utility.LoadLocalReleases(String localReleaseFile)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.CheckForUpdateImpl.<CheckForUpdate>d__28.MoveNext()
CheckForUpdateImpl: Reading RELEASES file from C:\Users\derik.taylor\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
CheckForUpdateImpl: First run or local directory is corrupt, starting from scratch
ApplyReleasesImpl: Writing files to app directory: C:\Users\derik.taylor\AppData\Local\atom\app-0.186.0
IEnableLogger: Failed to update local releases file: System.IO.IOException: The file exists.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
   at System.IO.Path.InternalGetTempFileName(Boolean checkHost)
   at Squirrel.ReleaseEntry.BuildReleasesFile(String releasePackagesDir)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<updateLocalReleasesFile>b__ec()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<updateLocalReleasesFile>d__ed.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<LogIfThrows>d__4f`1.MoveNext()

I have also made sure to reboot in between uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as removing those directories in between. Does anyone have any insight here as to why the installation still fails? I appreciate your help in advance!

Issues re-installing Atom

Hi :),

there is issue created for that https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/5767#issuecomment-76702325. For some people removing “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp” has helped. For me personally I ran clean up utility(Tune up in my case) and that resolved the problem.

Hey, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. After doing as you instructed, everything seems to be working just fine. Thank you so much for your help!!!