How to use output-panel for compile-run output?

I have installed gcc-make-run and output-panel (among others), and I try to find a possibility to receive the output of the compiled C++ program in the output-panel.

I do not like it if after the compile run an external xterm or other console application is launched, I’d prefer to stay within atom to do my work.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Surely it doesn’t matter where your output area is (internal or external) and the issue is managing where/how they are positioned on the screen. Depending on what OS you have there are tools to manage layout of multiple app windows. In Ubuntu I can use yakuake as the output terminal panel which toggles on F12. The output is passed from Atom through process-palette pipeline.

First, thanks a lot for your hint to process-palette!

Second, the interesting point is that process-palette can send output internally to its own TARGET: PANEL. But again, there is no way to pump the output of a user-defined command into another Atom-owned pane/panel, for instance one with a bash running in a console window.

It is a pity, that maybe I’m just too dumb or too blind to see the solution, or Atom indeed offers no way of piping commands into one of its own panels. But either way, process-palette is a good workaround and easy to use for people who are not on the developer’s level of insight into Atom’s engine room.

Could you choose your target as clipboard and then into your bash script? A bit long winded but I am not against using such pipes and chains if they serve a development purpose. At times I pipe to other editors and tools (even VSCode in a different workspace). Process-palette is your gateway.

I came to try Atom because I’m a learner: I test lots of dozens of cpp files, all of them independent from other sources. In such a case it makes no sense at all to create a project for each and everyone. And that was the point where I came into trouble with VCS. So I started to write my own bash scripts to create a development cycle like edit in vi, calling a script to compile and run, check the output and return to the editor. But since the sources got more and more complex I wanted a capable editor and decided to test Atom. Everything is fine so far, but what I really wanted was: Be in the editor, press a hotkey, get this thing compiled and run within the environment, and immediately improve and correct the code.

Your suggestions regarding piping and chaining things together: Great! Absolutely! And I’m quite sure that I will stay with Atom and process-palette, these are both fantastic tools!

I’ve just written a little article on the subject: http://www.kolloquia.de/?p=922 since there are lots of people who are asking the same question as I did :smile: