How to use Callback to get path(s)?

I’m still kind of new to JS and (with me usually doing Node stuff), but I’m having a awful time learning callbacks. So, could someone help me on making a callback with ShowOpenDialog so I can get the path(s)/file(s) that have been selected?

Hey there!

Before I’ll paste any code, you should definitely checkout the Electron API Demos app. Under Native User InterfaceUse system dialogs you have a fully described example.

Regarding your actual question: As stated in the docs you provide the callback as the last parameter in dialog.showOpenDialog([browserWindow, ]options[, callback]). The docs also say that the callback will be called with the selected files as the first given parameter:

If a callback is passed, the API call will be asynchronous and the result will be passed via callback(filenames)

So your callback could look like this:
Note: I left out the other parameters just for clarity, adjust accordingly…

dialog.showOpenDialog(…, …, (filenames) => {
    console.log(filenames); // those are your path files
});

Hope this helps!

Seems like a duplicate.

Thanks @john! This indeed appears to be a duplicate of the topic that @john linked.

We like to unify similar discussions under one topic so that people don’t have to read a bunch of different threads to get the whole story. Please continue the discussion there. I’ll be closing this topic as duplicate.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.