How to store passwords in a config field?

Is there a way to store passwords in a config field but don’t show its value in plaintext?
I created a package which accesses some parts that require a username and password. I implemented this via simple config string fields. However, those are written down in plaintext in the config.cson. Is there a way to hide them?

Proper way to save user parameters for future use

The very short answer is, you shouldn’t store private information in a config field. This was discussed in these topics:

The still short but somewhat longer answer is that you shouldn’t store private information (like passwords) in the config.cson because:

1. There isn’t a way to hide them, by design
  2. People are meant to be able to edit their config.cson by hand as well as access any setting in it from the Settings View
  3. Some people (like me) sync their Atom configuration to GitHub to share the tricks they learn with others

If you want to keep secrets, store them somewhere else.

Since this topic is a duplicate of the ones linked above, I’m going to close it. Please continue the conversation if you have any more questions on either of the linked topics. We like to unify similar discussions under one topic so that people don’t have to read a bunch of different threads to get the whole story.

First Package - GitHub Notifications