How to shrink tabs to window?

I have lot of text files open in tabs in atom. I think they used to compress to fit the size of my window, but now they get cut off on the right side and the only way to access the tabs that are cut off is to enlarge my window to see them. How do I get the tabs to compress to the window? I did a search and found this suggestion, but I went to the themes setting and there’s no “Compact Mode”. The only similar setting for One Dark Ui is “Tab Sizing” with options “Even”, “Minimum”, and “Maximum” and none of them do what I want. Adding the text given to config.cson doesn’t do anything either.

This snippet I found and placed in styles.less gives a list of open tabs. It might prove useful if you keep lots of tabs open.

// https://gist.github.com/jasesmith/4b4a5ab6445ed8ce7c23791041c31408
// list of open tabs

//
atom-workspace-axis.vertical atom-pane {
  flex-direction: row;
  .tab-bar:not(:empty) {
    box-shadow: inset -1px 0 0 #181a1f;
    resize: horizontal;
    height: auto;
    display: block;
    padding-right: 1px;
    padding-bottom: 3em;
    min-width: 14em;
    &::after {
      content: '';
      position: absolute;
      bottom: 1px;
      right: 1px;
      width: 0;
      height: 0;
      border: .7em solid transparent;
      border-color: transparent @ui-site-color-2 @ui-site-color-2 transparent;
      box-shadow: 1px 1px 0 0 #181a1f;
    }
  }
  .tab-bar .tab {
    display: block;
    border: none;
  }
  .tab-bar .tab,
  .tab-bar .tab.active {
    flex: none;
    width: auto;
    max-width: none;
    box-shadow: inset 0 -1px 0 0 #181a1f;
  }
  .tab-bar .tab .title {
    text-align: left;
  }
}

I don’t have the answer to your problem, because we don’t know what exact look you desire. The description “compress to the window” isn’t descriptive at all. Maybe post an image of what you have in mind.

With that said, editors such as Sublime Text (which largely inspired VSCode and Atom) introduced the “Find File” feature, which works pretty much like the command palette – just for files in your project. I recommend using this feature, as it speads up the process of switching between files immensely. To me it’s been a game changer when I first about this in Sublime Text and wouldn’t want to miss it after 10 years working with it.

Demo

I really don’t know how to make an image of what I’m thinking of quickly. I thought I was using clear language, but to put it another way, I’d like my tabs to shrink horizontally to fit in the window. Does that explain it better? I don’t use projects, I’m just editing a bunch of different files around my computer, so that’s not what I’m looking for.

I tried putting that into styles.less and I got an error that said “unrecognized input”.

Actually, I often see errors popping up after hacks but I just close the error window. I have just uncommented that snippet again and the error you refer to showed up but the snippet still works.
I am getting around to writing an external automation script/widget which can dynamically compose styles.less and other such key files by joining various external snippets found from the forum. Simple idea but I hope it will make troubleshooting easier as hacks increase.