How to make mouse selection and arrow keys ignore soft tabs

In the editors I’m used to, the equivalent of “soft tabs” only causes tabs to insert 4 (or some other number) spaces, and backspace/delete to remove 4 spaces. It does nothing else.

Atom does more than that. Selection (whether by mouse or arrow keys) will treat the series of spaces as a unit; for example, hitting the left or right arrow keys once will move up or down a level of indentation, regardless of how many spaces that actually is.

While I can understand how it might be useful to have soft tabs be just as strict as hard tabs, I find it kind of disruptive. I click with the mouse, and my cursor doesn’t go where I expect it to. I use the arrow keys a couple of times, and suddenly I’m nowhere near the column I intended to be. Plus, the soft tab setting doesn’t affect old files, so it can be annoying to tell if a file is actually using soft or hard tabs.

How do I make Atom behave more like I’m used to?

Disable the “Atomic Soft Tabs” setting.

That’s closer to what I want, but still not exactly what I’d like. I still want backspace (and delete) to remove an indentation level’s worth of spaces.

Hmm. That’s significantly harder and not something I’d think we’ll be exposing as a config option. Maybe someone will know how to do it in your init.coffee file though.

After stumbling across TextEditor::backspace and TextEditor::delete, I managed to get it to work the way I like. There’s still a bit of weirdness when you use backspace and delete and aren’t aligned with the tabs, but it’s not something I’m particularly concerned about.

I added the following to my init.coffee:

atom.commands.add 'body', {
    'init:atomic-backspace': () ->
        editor = atom.workspace.getActiveTextEditor()
        ast = editor.displayLayer.atomicSoftTabs
        editor.displayLayer.atomicSoftTabs = true
        editor.backspace()
        editor.displayLayer.atomicSoftTabs = ast

'init:atomic-delete': () ->
        editor = atom.workspace.getActiveTextEditor()
        ast = editor.displayLayer.atomicSoftTabs
        editor.displayLayer.atomicSoftTabs = true
        editor.delete()
        editor.displayLayer.atomicSoftTabs = ast
}

Edit: Wait, scratch that. That will cause an error (and not the backspace) in (e.g.) text selection in the settings menu.

Make sure the active text editor isn’t null :wink:

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention I already added a test for null and it still doesn’t work. Without a test, you get an error when you backspace, and with a test, backspace does nothing in the settings menu.

The problem is that in (for example) package search, atom.workspace.getActiveTextEditor() returns null, so I can’t call editor.backspace() or editor.delete(). You can specifically test for null, but then pressing backspace or delete in the settings menu will silently do nothing.

Then maybe try constraining your selector to atom-text-editor:not([mini]) instead of just body?