How to Deactive Google Tracking in Atom?

Greetings everyone!

According to the Free Software Foundation, Atom tracks its users. Does anyone know how one can turn this off?

Here is a reference link: http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Atom

Thanks.

/david

Actually, it says how right on the page you posted:

@leedohm, I noticed that the link I posted does have instructions :slightly_smiling:

However, I cannot find the “Preferences” button, and if I click on “Settings” I don’t see a “Metrics” package. Does anyone know how I can access it? I am using Windows.

/david

1. Launch Atom
  2. Go to the Settings View using Cmd+, on OS X or Ctrl+, on other platforms
  3. Click the Packages tab
  4. Search for “metrics”
  5. Click the Disable button on the metrics package panel

Disable google analytics

Got it! Thanks for the guide @leedohm !

/david

how do we completely remove the tracking and usage data. I am working in a secure environment and will be repacking this application without those features. Are they just a npm plugin I can remove? If so where are they located? I would also like to request that you make tracking and usage data an opt-in instead of the current opt-out.

If you want to create a custom build of Atom, you can repackage it so that it does not contain the metrics or exception-reporting packages.

If what you really want is a version of Atom that doesn’t make any outbound connections, that would be a much bigger task. For example, the application still connects to servers to check for updates to Atom or installed community packages. Any community package could also connect to external servers for various reasons.

This has been an occasional request. The team is looking at ways to improve the metrics tracking options experience. We don’t know when we will be able to make these improvements yet.

Yes, node allows any net activity. I have several packages that go to the web, all for good reasons.