How to Completely Uninstall Atom for Mac?

Found another one: ~/Library/Caches/com.github.atom.Shipit

NOTE: in a post above, the path’s with spaces were quoted improperly.

So, the new “complete” list becomes (with proper quoting):

rm -rf ~/.atom
rm -rf /usr/local/bin/atom
rm -rf /usr/local/bin/apm
rm -rf /Applications/Atom.app
rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.github.atom.plist
rm -rf ~/"Library/Application Support/com.github.atom.ShipIt"
rm -rf ~/"Library/Application Support/Atom"
rm -rf ~/"Library/Saved Application State/com.github.atom.savedState"
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.github.atom
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.github.atom.Shipit
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/Atom
1 Like

For anyone that might want it, I made a quick and dirty Perl script to uninstall Atom and all the files that have been discovered so far in this thread. Atom Uninstall Script

Every app that has to write configs, profiles, etc. will write that data outside the app container. Otherwise you would have to run an app with administrative rights.

Awesome this works without headache.

In my case it’s also:
~/Library/Caches/com.github.atom.ShipIt/

This is what I found in my system. For those who have Atom and Atom Beta installed, this includes both:

rm -rf ~/.atom ~/Library/Preferences/com.github.atom.helper.plist ~/Library/Preferences/com.github.atom.plist /Applications/Atom.app /Applications/Atom\ Beta.app /usr/local/bin/atom /usr/local/bin/atom-beta /usr/local/bin/apm /usr/local/bin/apm-beta ~/Library/Application\ Support/Atom/ ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.github.atom.ShipIt ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.github.atom.savedState ~/Library/Caches/com.github.atom.ShipIt/ ~/Library/Caches/com.github.atom ~/Library/Caches/Atom

1 Like

When dragging the Atom.app onto AppCleaner, it finds these files:

Looks like it misses the ~/.atom/ directory.

Thanks @leedohm for your support throughout this thread.

However, I created an account to express my frustration with how difficult it was to fully remove Atom from my Mac.

Sometimes, when you have an old version of atom and you’ve made so many modifications to it, added so many packages to it, you just want to start fresh with a brand new install as if you never installed it before.

I felt like there were endless files to delete, and then when I thought I was done, I re-installed Atom and my packages and configurations were still showing up! The reason I was deleting was to have an easy way to get rid of all that stuff.

I can’t express how much an official uninstaller would be appreciated. I don’t want to waste my team deleting files in terminal.

If you just want to revert Atom to factory settings, you can just delete the ~/.atom/ directory and start Atom from the command line with atom --clear-window-state. That’ll wipe everything custom about your editor.

I know this thread is dead, but I also found atom files in ~/Library/WebKit/com.github.atom. If you want a complete uninstall, you should remove that directory as well.

For anyone having a hard time uninstalling. I followed the above, and couldn’t get Atom to uninstall. What I ended up doing was going in finder for Mac HD and searching for atom, and saw it was in my user downloads folder as an app. It’s now fully uninstalled.