How to Completely Uninstall Atom for Mac?

There’s no such file in the PlatformIO repo. It does matter, because PlatformIO is a package that builds on top of Atom, and any issue with a package installing things that are difficult to remove should be taken up with the package’s maintainers.

I’m not using a special package. So I Would say the one that comes with the installation on default.

I can safely say that you’re wrong, because you’ve already said that you’re using PlatformIO.

You should screenshot the terminal window where you can see timer.h as a file installed alongside Atom, and you should share with us exactly where you downloaded Atom.

If you go to the Terminal inside platformio… type in: pio lib search Timer.h
i get the following result --> check number 75

Michaels-MacBook-Pro:~ michaelbinder$ pio lib search Timer.h
Found 11 libraries:

[ ID ] Name Compatibility “Authors”: Description

[ 75 ] Timer arduino, atmelavr “Jack Christensen, Simon Monk, Damian Philipp”: Timer Library
[ 138 ] FlexiTimer2 arduino, atmelavr, teensy “Wim Leers, Paul Stoffregen”: Arduino library to use timer 2 wi
th a configurable resolution. Based on MsTimer2 by Javier Valencia. Written for the project associated with the “M
obile & Pervasive Computing” course at Hasselt University in Belgium.
[ 442 ] DueTimer arduino, atmelsam “Ivan Seidel”: Timer Library fully implemented for Arduino DUE
[ 131 ] TimerOne arduino, atmelavr, teensy “Paul Stoffregen”: Allow to use the built-in 16 bit Timer1
[ 132 ] TimerThree arduino, atmelavr, teensy “Paul Stoffregen”: Allow to use the built-in 16 bit Timer3
[ 137 ] MsTimer2 arduino, atmelavr, teensy “Javier Valencia, Paul Stoffregen”: MsTimer2 is a small and ver
y easy to use library to interface Timer2 with humans. It’s called MsTimer2 because it “hardcodes” a resolution of
1 millisecond on timer2.

[ 419 ] SimpleTimer arduino, atmelavr “Jean-Francois Turcot”: SimpleTimer Library for Arduino
[ 295 ] TimedAction arduino, atmelavr, atmelsam, timsp430, titiva, teensy, freescalekinetis, ststm32, nordicn
rf51, nxplpc, espressif, siliconlabsefm32, linux_arm, native “Alexander Brevig”: Provide an easy way of triggering
functions at a set interval
[ 333 ] NeoNextion arduino, atmelavr, atmelsam, espressif “Dan Nixon”: Arduino library for controlling Nexti
on displays
[ 415 ] Blynk arduino, energia, mbed, wiringpi, atmelavr, atmelsam, timsp430, titiva, nordicnrf51, espr
essif, native “Volodymyr Shymanskyy”: Build a smartphone app for your project in minutes. Works with Arduino, ESP8
266, Raspberry Pi, Intel Edison/Galileo, LinkIt ONE, Particle Core/Photon, Banana Pro, LeMaker Guitar, Energia, MB
ED, LightBlue Bean, …

I downloaded Atom/Platformio from the official homepage

You’re searching the PlatformIO Libraries Registry for the Arduino timer library. That doesn’t mean the file is on your computer, and even if it was, it’s still not part of Atom or PlatformIO.

Not sure what you are trying to say… I thought you wanted to know where I found the library.
If you continue with: pio lib install 75
the library gets installed, so you can use it in your project. The thing was after I deleted everything connected to PLatformio/Atom and then reinstalling it, the library was still installed. The library itself isn’t the problem, just the fact that not everything got deleted with the lines/terminal commands from above.
Or are you saying that this isn’t supposed to be covered by the commands from above? If that’s the case would I have to uninstall the libraries first before I deinstall Atom/Platformio to get a clean system or do I have other options as well? Thanks a lot for your help!!

I’m answering your question:

The Arduino library did not get removed because it belongs to neither PlatformIO nor Atom.

If that’s the case would I have to uninstall the libraries first before I deinstall Atom/Platformio to get a clean system or do I have other options as well?

Where is PlatformIO keeping the libraries? If they’re all in one folder, you could just delete that.

Allright. Thank you very much!

just a quick, copy and paste and GONE!

rm -rf ~/.atom
rm -rf /usr/local/bin/atom
rm -rf /usr/local/bin/apm
rm -rf /Applications/
rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.github.atom.plist
rm -rf "~/Library/Application Support/com.github.atom.ShipIt"
rm -rf "~/Library/Application Support/Atom"
rm -rf "~/Library/Saved Application State/com.github.atom.savedState"
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.github.atom
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/Atom

Mac client suddenly stopped working

Watch out! Spaces between words, since not escaped (i.e. prefixed with \) nor quoted, will cause these commands:

rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/com.github.atom.ShipIt
rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/Atom
rm -rf ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.github.atom.savedState

to act like these:

rm -rf ~/Library/Application
rm -rf Support/com.github.atom.ShipIt
rm -rf Support/Atom
rm -rf ~/Library/Saved
rm -rf Application
rm -rf State/com.github.atom.savedState

If any of the above paths exists, this will result in undesired and irreversible data loss. Thus, it’s always better to quote every path we pass to commands, like this:

rm -rf "~/Library/Application Support/com.github.atom.ShipIt"

Thanks for that. I’ve updated the above example to use safe quoting.

Hi All,

I found some for Atom files in opt/X11 path in my mac, should i delete them?
if yes which are all the files have to delete?

How do you make sure you remove every trace of the electron runtime?

Guys, it is very unclean to install a mess and not provide a way to remove the mess. Very linux-y to blast crap all over the file system and expect people to grep to clean up after you.

Don’t be so in love with your stuff to accept that someone may not want to remove it. At a minimum to do a clean reinstall some day (if not for some other reason).

Leaves bad taste.

Very, very few Mac applications provide uninstallation tools. So it would appear that it is rather Mac-like and not necessarily “linux-y” at all to behave this way.

Electron is contained completely within the package and doesn’t write files anywhere else on its own.

We have instructions in the Atom Flight Manual on how to reset Atom to factory defaults.

Thanks. Good to know that electron is self-contained when installing with Atom.

Mac apps that don’t have installers are usually ones that place a single package (fancy for folder or directory) in a single place—so with no side effects they don’t need an uninstaller.

Other Mac apps that create installation side effects have matured and increasingly supply uninstallers.

It is linux-y for a complex command line utility to install in lots of places with no other way to remove the various files except to rm the output of some greo for the applicable files.

But, I am glad to know that Atom is pretty clean except for a bunch of things that go in ~/Library/Application Support, which are easy enough to find and remove, being reasonably localized.

Atom keeps improving a lot. However for my purposes, I was installing to attempt to use Juno with Julia. Juno sort of just gets in the way, has lots of caveats, and generally isn’t worth using over an editor and terminal or Jupyter. It would be nice to have an equivalent of Rstudio or Rodeo (Python) for Julia, but that’s out of scope of this email. Juno certainly isn’t there yet and doesn’t seem to be following a good strategy—it’s sort of like an Eclipse plugin—‘nuff said.

Found another one: ~/Library/Caches/com.github.atom.Shipit

NOTE: in a post above, the path’s with spaces were quoted improperly.

So, the new “complete” list becomes (with proper quoting):

rm -rf ~/.atom
rm -rf /usr/local/bin/atom
rm -rf /usr/local/bin/apm
rm -rf /Applications/
rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.github.atom.plist
rm -rf ~/"Library/Application Support/com.github.atom.ShipIt"
rm -rf ~/"Library/Application Support/Atom"
rm -rf ~/"Library/Saved Application State/com.github.atom.savedState"
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.github.atom
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.github.atom.Shipit
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/Atom

Atom lags when typing or scrolling and eating away memory
Atom crashes

For anyone that might want it, I made a quick and dirty Perl script to uninstall Atom and all the files that have been discovered so far in this thread. Atom Uninstall Script

Every app that has to write configs, profiles, etc. will write that data outside the app container. Otherwise you would have to run an app with administrative rights.

Awesome this works without headache.

In my case it’s also:

This is what I found in my system. For those who have Atom and Atom Beta installed, this includes both:

rm -rf ~/.atom ~/Library/Preferences/com.github.atom.helper.plist ~/Library/Preferences/com.github.atom.plist /Applications/ /Applications/Atom\ /usr/local/bin/atom /usr/local/bin/atom-beta /usr/local/bin/apm /usr/local/bin/apm-beta ~/Library/Application\ Support/Atom/ ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.github.atom.ShipIt ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.github.atom.savedState ~/Library/Caches/com.github.atom.ShipIt/ ~/Library/Caches/com.github.atom ~/Library/Caches/Atom